Default Probiotics for kids: dairy based?

My friend's kid (2.5 months older than my son) was recently diagnosed with many many food allergies, the red flag was a persistent rash that never goes away completley, it's all over his body, but oddly (and thankfully) not on his face.

When talking about this, I asked her if she had him on probiotics, thinking these would help grow his little gut a bit. She said they're all dairy based, and since he's allergic to dairy (along with corn, soy, chicken, and a bunch of other things), she can't give it.

Is this true? Are any probiotic brands she can use? Many thanks in advance!

heather_c Guest

Default RE: Probiotics for kids: dairy based?

Ironically, I went in search of non dairy-based capsules of probiotics today. My DS has a dairy and oatmeal allergy.

I looked at Wal-mart and Walgreens, and all of their options had lactose and were tablets. I then went to our local natural foods store. They had several non-dairy options including capsules and refridgerated liquid. Some of their options were specifically made for kids. I ended up with the Bluebonnet brand of Acidophilus. I imagine Whole Foods would have something similar. I hope this helps!

Heather

Matthew - 9/7/05

http://b1.lilypie.com/3UZGm6/.png

JBaxter is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I'll check w/ a friend of mine I am pretty sure she has a brand of probiotics that is dairy free. Her son is on a special dairy/wheat/rice free diet. She is in the process of moving but I will see her Wednesday and ask.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

I was just in Whole Foods yesterday looking for probiotics for DS. I know they had some that specifically said dairy-free, although I'm not sure what they had for kids that was dairy-free. But it's definitely worth a shot. They had many many options in the refrigerated section of the vitamin/supplement area.

Debbie

I want to say that there is a probiotic called FlorQ (or something like that) that is strictly nondairy. Don't know where to get it, my ped gave me a sample. My daughter has an intolerance to dairy and she has ulcerative colitis....we use a product called VSL#3 with great success. I think it is cultured in dairy, but then it extracted out...but there may be traces of it. (This is only available from the manufacturer online.) Culturelle is also a good probiotic (can get it in CVS) I'm not sure of the dairy content though...but my daughter did well with that too.

HTH,

Gina

I've seen so many posts lately on probiotics, but I really don't know what they are. Can anyone educate me? :)
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

JBaxter is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Custom Probiotics - Check them out on-line. The man is a chemist who
    does these. He has diffeent kinds. He is reputable in autism community. I
    would recommend. ( Quoted from my friend)
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Our ped. recommends Culturelle, and it's dairy free according to this:
    http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/e...questid=500073

but another sight says:
    The Lactobacillus GG strain in Culturelle® is grown on a whey-based media. In the cheese-making process, casein is the milk protein that precipitates to form the cheese curds (hence the phrase, "curds and whey"). After the Lactobacillus GG is grown on the whey-based media, the bacterial cells are washed and freeze-dried. To test for the presence of dairy proteins (casein and whey), Culturelle® has been submitted to FARRP, an internationally known food allergy research program for an enzyme-linked immuno sorbent assay (ELISA). The casein and whey content of Culturelle® is each less than 15 ppm. Some people can be allergic to these levels of protein.

Complicated!
    Lisa

Default THANK YOU ladies!!

I emailed her severel recs based on the suggestions here.

ilovetivo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Have her go to www.kidswithfoodallergies.com It's a FANTASTIC site. There's many threads on their support boards regarding this. Make sure though, as a pp said, that the product isn't cultured on on dairy, even though the label says dairy free.

I haven't figured out which one dd can use either yet (just haven't read all the threads and confirmed for myself). My DD's allergies are dairy, egg, and avoiding peanuts, tree nuts, fish shellfish, seeds.

She should also go to Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network - FAAN - www.foodallergy.org 's site and join that group.
    DD 7 - outgrew dairy allergy 6/13/11 - She had FPIES http://bit.ly/WhatIsFPIES