Default First try at rice cereal making frequent runny green poo. . .

Hey, everyone! Well we have started in on solids for Mr Cheeks, and he is very eager to try them! I am trying rice cereal first, since that's what our ped recommends and it worked fine for Littleman. Mr Cheeks LOVES it, but then he starts having frequent very liquidy, very green BMs. Sometimes they are kind of mucousy too. He had cereal once a day for three days, then I quit to see if the BMs improved. They did (less frequent, a little less runny, no mucous and curdy yellow), so I waited a week or so and tried again, and immediately the yucky bright green poo returned. He poops 10 - 12 times a day. Of course I stopped the cereal again.

I looked up what I could find on runny green poo (LOL!) and found it could be due to too much foremilk or possibly a sensitivity to dairy. These seem unlikely since I have not changed my diet, he is nursing the same and there is such an apparent correlation between the poo and the rice cereal. So, is this an allergy? An immature gut? What do you think? I plan on asking the ped, but sometimes you ladies are better!

Mr Cheeks has been exclusively breastfed up to this point. He is just over 6 months old. He does not seem uncomfortable, he is not particularly straining and he is nursing normally. I'm going to give his little gut a break and then try something different- either oatmeal or sweet potatoes, I think.
    Kit

Littleman 10/03, Mr. Sweetcheeks 08/05, Babyman 11/07

mudder17 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default RE: First try at rice cereal making frequent runny green poo. . .

The green runny poop is often a sign that he's having trouble digesting the protein in whatever you're giving him. I'm not sure just how much protein is in the rice cereal, but my guess is that he has an immature gut and you just need to give it a break. And yes, after you wait for a while, I would suggest trying either oatmeal or maybe sweet potatoes. Our pede's office said (for some reason) that a lot of their patience did better with oatmeal first and would often show difficulty with digesting the rice. I have no idea why that is, but it may be one of those things that vary from child to child. In any case, I think you're on the right track--give him time to recover and then try maybe something else like sweet potatoes.

HTH!

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ies/candle.gif for Leah
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbo...pphire_24m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catca...-6_Kaya+is.png
    Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

FWIW, DD's first solid was mashed, thinned banana and she loved it. She never took to cereals, even though she did eat a little oatmeal for a while.

I agree with PP. Try something else after a break. Maybe banana or sweet potato which is more nutritious anyway. :9

Thanks, ladies! Yes, I was thinking he might not really be digesting the cereal. We'll wait things out a while longer (till diapers are back to normal for a day or two!) and try something different. Poor guy! Not only are the diapers no fun, but he seems to be dying to eat solids. He's always entranced with what we're eating, and trying to get the spoon, and he LOVED eating the cereal! I admit I'm ready too, because it seems like he is hungry all the time these days. I know, patience, patience! :P I do want his little tummy to be ready first.
    Kit

Littleman 10/03, Mr. Sweetcheeks 08/05, Babyman 11/07