Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: update: Aacck! what is up?!

Hmm, that makes more sense, because how could she be hungry so soon after going down? But I never did the "sleep training" so the only way I can get her to go back down in the middle of the night is to feed her, and she always drains me (seriously!) which is why I assume she's hungry. I really need to stop stressing over this and go with the flow.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

Default RE: Don't want DD to self-wean!

I did EXACTLY this, too. :)

I guess great minds think alike. :)
    DD 2004
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2014 finally!

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

My DS is over 2 and we nurse mostly on demand (which is pretty much now morning, before/during nap, once in the evening sometimes, and bedtime. Also he nurses overnight too.

He was never a huge solids eater but he has always kept up on the nursing even with solids being offered routinely.

Also, there are mixed thoughts on this, but most BFing purists feel that anytime a baby stops nursing before say 18 months, it is a nursing strike, not so much self weaning. (not trying to upset anyone, and I have no experience w/ this myself). My point in saying that is that I would really try hard to get a child under 12 months, and definitely even under 18 months back to the breast if they stopped nursing, *IF* you really feel strongly about continuing to a year or more.

I also second, third, fourth...whatever we're up to now...that night nursing is great and keeps your supply up.

If baby stops nursing at a young age you can try lots of skin to skin contact, slinging, nurse-ins where you stay in bed together as much as possible relaxing, etc. to woo the baby back to the breast. Make nursing a priority for a few days. Sometimes they have an ear infection or are teething and it hurts to nurse for a few days. Just keep trying and usually they'll come back to it :)

I'm not saying some kids don't stop nursing for a while as infants, but I feel it is very rare to see a baby really self-wean (if they were nursed on demand) at that age. Sometimes I think parents may encourage that because of their own desire to stop, which I respect. Just don't let it scare you into thinking you *won't* be able to nurse up to or beyond 12 months.

Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Thanks so much for all the specific suggestions! It's really helpful to know that nursing long term can be done. My inside goal was one year, and bonus for any time after that, but I recently set an outside goal of 18 months to get us through the next flu season. After that I was thinking of stopping because we want to try for #2 and I am not thinking of nursing while pregnant. But I'll guess I'll see where we are when she turns one.

Thanks again! I love you guys!
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

Lovingliv is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: update: Aacck! what is up?!

Sounds like the 6 month growth spurt to me!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2