Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default RE: Does your pediatrician ask about BFing for child over one year?

he asked at all appointments, and at the 2 year appointment when I said I was still breastfeeding, he said to Logan "someday you are going to thank your mommmy for this". At her 3 year appointment when I said I was still breastfeeding, he said to her "you are a lucky little girl".

I love my pediatrician. He's very close to retirement age, so I hope he hangs around at least 2 more years until Logan is 5 and can transfer to our family doctor (whom we also love).
    ...Karen
    ds 1991
    dd 2003
    dd 2008 now home from Taiwan!

newmomto3kids Guest

The standard question at our ped's office is "What kind of milk are you getting?" When I say we are nursing, they generally just move on. At her 18 mos visit, the doctor noticed she had not gained much weight since her 15 mos visit and commented that this was not uncommon in breastfed babies and that he wasn't worried.

See, that's kind of why I think they should ask to hopefully be as supportive as your ped was. I used to know lots of people who nursed past a year, although it seems rarer in my new town and social circle. But how will pediatricians ever know what's going on with their own patients and that specific kid if they don't ask? By not asking, they also kind of give up or don't consider in the first place the idea that anyone might be nursing at a certain point.

Besides, I *think* (not sure) that a chunk of pediatricians I've met would support the idea of nursing as long as mom and child want. They might not do it themselves, they might not be so supportive in a non-professional environment, but I think/hope that when they see a happy, healthy mom/baby grouping in their office, they'd say more power to you. At the very least, I wanted to know if DD's pediatrician would respond that way.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

KBecks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Well, my doc knew I had stopped nursing, so we talked about transitioning from formula to whole milk, and about limiting whole milk to 3x ish a day so that Alek would eat more solids.

I think when the doc brings up feeding, your answer can/should include EVERYTHING, including breast milk. I also imagine that by 1 year, most BFing moms are experienced and probably have few questions, but my doc always is open to any kind of question, so you should feel free to bring anything up during a visit.
    Karen, mom to three beautiful boys, 10/2004, 7/2006 and 10/2008!
    trying to spend less time online, doh!

*I regret choosing circumcision for my sons.*
    Our new arrival is NOT circed.

Sillygirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Karen, my ped was an extended nurser herself and *very* supportive about my nursing to 16 months. And at his 18 month visit when I reported I'd weaned him, she asked me in detail how it went, because she really cares that we had the best possible experience, and I'm sure wanted to offer counsel and support if I was at all unhappy about that. Can't say enough about her, really. LMK if you want her name.
    Katie, Mom to two boys
    Retraining my dopamine circuits thanks to David Kessler, MD.
    Jonathan: Halloween 2004
    Alex: A smidge past Groundhog Day 2007

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2