Thread: growth spurt

sthole Guest

Default growth spurt

Hi! I'm a first time mom and I'm wondering if this is normal. DS just turned 1 month today and this week has started eating every 2 hours during the day (was eating every 3). The feedings are much shorter than they were as well. At first I thought it was a growth spurt but it's gone on for 3 days now. And when do feedings start to spread out? I've heard newborns should feed 8-12 times a day. How long are babies considered newborns?

I've also noticed that she is getting fussy at the breast. I think I have too fast of a let down because she's started coughing and gets startled off the breast. She's also pulling off the breast even after let down. It's frustrating because breastfeeding was going so well for me. I afraid she's started eating in shorter shifts because she's scared of the breast. Do babies get used to fast let downs?

thanks for any help!!

kimbe is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: growth spurt

Congratulations on your baby and I am so happy to hear that BFing has been going well for you!

I think that it is totally normal that your DD would go from three to two hours between feedings even if it isn't a growth spurt. My DD never really had a schedule and would eat anywhere between 1-3 hours at that age. For us, feedings really didn't start to spread out until MUCH later --- like 7-8 months. If you are feeing on demand, just keep doing that. Your DS knows when to eat and he will eat when he is hungry!

As for the being fussy, my DD was like that sometimes she would be so hysterical that she couldn't even latch on. I used a hairdryer on low to calm her down and she would latch on fine and eat. Music might help too. DD was extremely fussy during the evenings and usually cluster fed from 7pm until she went to bed. Could that be something that is happening to you? Check this out!
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html

I hope that helped. Sounds like you are doing fantastic! Keep up the good work!

Kim