Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    MNmomtobe is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Difference between Alimentum and Nutramigen?

Well I asked the ped today about possibility of a milk protein allergy. She didn't think so since there weren't other signs like bloody poop. She said very few kids actually have a milk protein allergy. She gave the okay for gripe water and mylicon.

heatherlynn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Here's a link I found useful w/ DS. Scroll about halfway down to see a comparison of formulas.

http://tinyurl.com/nl7fr

Also, trust your instincts. My DD#1 had to be put on Nutramigen, but it took a long time before we did because our ped told us it wouldn't do any good since she didn't have any symptoms of allergies, etc. Well, w/in a few days, she was a new baby. I'm not sure what the problem was, but it made a huge difference. DS also had to be put on Nutramigen. Again our ped (different one) said that it shouldn't really matter, but again, new baby w/in a couple of days. Now DD#2 was fine at first w/ regular old Similac. Then after a few months she started getting constipated and had blood in her stool. This time ped put her on Alimentum immediately since the other 2 were both on it (well Nutramigen). Ped said there was a "family history." Luckily, I was also able to get insurance to cover it.

Again, trust your instincts; you know your baby better than anyone. Good luck!

H-
    Heather
    dd 3/98
    ds 8/04
    dd 11/05

Joshua was 1 year old when we could finally take him off Zantac without the reflux sysmptoms returning (we tried at 6 months and 8 months before then, and within days he was miserable again).

Also, each year we tried to switch him to regular milk, and he was in pain. We would try every 6 months per the Ped. He was able to drink Lactaid at 2 years without problems. Now at 4 years old he can have all milk products without problems--Horray! So yes, they can outgrow it--but not always. It depends upon the person.
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

Thanks Amy. That is good to know that there may be an end in sight for the reflux. I will be religious about giving DD her Zantac since the gripe water doesn't seem to be working.
    If that doesn't work, will have to switch formulas.

Thanks Heather. I was thinking that I would try the formula if the gripe water didn't work. Also, I never gave the Zantac a fair shake. Seems like every day I was convinced she had something else!
    I will do the Zantac for several days. If no improvement, then the hypo formula. Something has to work right? :)

heather13 Guest

Did your doc check your DC's poop (run a test), or just ask if you've seen bloody stools? My friend's son showed no signs except he was losing a lot of weight and was finally diagnosed with MSPI (milk soy protein intolerance), but her doc noted sometimes the blood is hidden. My DD also has it and is on Alimentum b/c that's what they gave her in the hospital when she was diagnosed (she had VERY bloody stools and they did a biopsy to confirm it). To answer your other question, odds are very good that babies will outgrow this, many by age 1, the majority by age 5. I believe I read it affects 4-7% of babies, with a higher incidence in the midwest in the US.

Radosti is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I nurse my DS, so it's a bit different. But he had a terrible milk allergy before my milk came in at the hospital. He was getting the Enfamil milk formula there for 2 days and was in terrible pain. Then, he got the Prosobee and did great on it. We switched to breastfeeding when my milk finally made an appearance, but I had to cut all dairy from my diet. Slowly, at 6 months old, I was able to introduce a bit of dairy at a time into my diet. But very slowly. He's 8 months old now and I'm finally able to eat all the dairy I want and he LOVES his Yo Baby yogurt. So, he outgrew it finally.
    DS1 12/05
    DS2 06/08
    DD 11/09

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts

Costco does not sell the Hypo stuff.
    Candice
    WOHM to DS1 (6/04), DS2 (12/05), DD (2/09) and to our fur-st Sascha
    family blog: www.whatsupkahn.blogspot.com

Default How's it going?

I wanted to check and see how you were doing.
    Candice
    WOHM to DS1 (6/04), DS2 (12/05), DD (2/09) and to our fur-st Sascha
    family blog: www.whatsupkahn.blogspot.com

jmtccw Guest

Our pediatrician perscribed Zantac for my son at 3 months for acid reflux. He wanted us to try it for at least two weeks to see if there was an improvement. There was no improvement at all. I was convinced that it was not acid reflux and must be something else, like a milk allergy. The doc was sure it was acid reflux and switched us from Zantac to a stronger med., Prevacid(sp?). His improvement was drastic. He definately had a bad case of acid reflux and needed to stay on the Prevacid until he was about 13 months old when we slowly weaned him off. He is now almost two and takes no med. and has no reflux syptoms. If your babe does have acid reflux feel free to ask me any questions.

Thinking of you and your little one,
    Julie

P.S - I should add that at 3 months my son's symptoms were: crying during a feeding session, lots of spitting up, only drinking about 1 or 2 ounces at a time, sometimes acting like he was starving, but refusing to eat--No bloody diarreah, rash, or stuffy nose

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast