Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mec Guest

Default RE: Difference between Alimentum and Nutramigen?

I breastfed DD #1 for 8 wks & then used Carnation Good Start for 10 months. DD didn't have reflux(she spit up like most babies do, but that stopped happening) nor blood in her stools. Around 9 or 10 months old she had allergy shiners (dark circles under her eyes). I had never heard of allergy shiners & didn't realize there was a problem. Also, in those last couple of months on formula she would vomit occasionaly. She was very sensitive with her gag reflex & it didn't happen often, so I didn't think it was a problem. Also, she was a happy baby, & didn't experience pain/fussiness with her feedings. At 10 1/2 months, one day after her lunch, her faced swelled up very badly, her eyes were almost swollen shut. The Ped MD said he didn't know what it was & that it was probably just a fluke, since she'd had no new foods. At 1 year after starting milk, she had the same reaction twice in 1 day. Ped MD still didn't know why this was happening. So I took her to an allergist, who skin tested & blood tested her for cow milk, casein(a milk protein), & egg whites. The skin test was positive. The blood test results were positive- they all came back as a level 4, which is very high. The allergist was surprised that she didn't have eczema & very surprised that she tolerated the formula as well as she did. She was tested 6 months later & had outgrown the egg allergy, but not the milk allergy. She's had bad reactions & @ 3 1/2 yrs old she had her worst reaction; vomiting, throat closing, trouble breathing, wheezing. I gave the epi pen, benadryl & the paramedics came & gave albuterol respiratory treatment & took her to the hospital where she received a steroid injection. She was still on benadryl for the next 24 hrs & an oral steroid for 2 days. I didn't sleep for the next 2 nights.
    An allergy is different from an intolerance. I can tell you about allergies. A true milk allergy affects a very small percentage of babies & children. Many outgrow it, although not all do. DD will be tested again in September. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that her counts @ least go down. The only hope for outgrowing it is strict avoidance. Five wks ago I had DD#2. Now that there is a family history, I decided to breastfeed (my goal is to do 1 yr.) & I have taken all nuts, dairy, & seafood out of my diet to try to prevent a food allergy. I talked to the allergist about the formulas in case I needed one. Alimentum & Nutramigen are the same. They are cow milk based, but are broken down so much that most babies can tolerate them. There are some babies that can't & need go on Neocate, which is completely milk free & a lot more money than Alimentum & Nutramigen.
    Best of luck. I hope this helped & I really hope she doesn't have an allergy.
    Mary
    DD 10/02

MNmomtobe is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: How's it going?

Thanks! Today is going a bit better. DD is definitely crying less but still occasionally doing her cough and cry thing. I started her on Alimentum last night so we'll see. She is getting mylicon after each bottle and Zantac twice a day.
    I think I will make an appt for her to see the ped again on Saturday to switch to prevacid if there is no improvement over the next few days. Thanks for checking in! :)

Thanks Julie! I will suggest the Prevacid to ped if another few days of the Zantac doesn't help. I did switch DD to alimentum last night so it may be hard to tell what is helping or not? I couldn't wait to try something else though. Too hard to watch her in pain.

What has made this so tough and confusing is that DD did tolerate a lot of the feedings (when she was on Similac Advance) just fine, she is gaining weight very well, no obvious blood in the stools (she has not had a guiac to check for sure). When she does have fussiness, she arches her back, goes from pulling her legs in to stretching her whole body out, screaming. She does spit up a small-mod amount with feedings but only has had larger spit ups maybe 4-5 times.
    I guess since she didn't have these episodes each time that it likely wasn't a milk protein thing but I switched her formula anyway. I figured it couldn't hurt.

Thanks again for your reply :)

jmtccw Guest

I can only speak to the possible reflux issue. Yes, arching the back and fussing...I forgot that symptom in my previous post. That was a big symptom. My son's weight was not a concern, either. As far as formula, we were on Similac Advance and then the ped switched us to Isomil Advance. It didn't help. Then we tried Zantac for two weeks - didn't help. As I said before, what finally allowed my babe two heal was the Prevacid. It was a long process. Hang in there, I know how hard this is. It will get better. We are always here for support and questions.

Julie

eta: If your ped decides to try Prevacid, let me know. I can describe to you how we gave it to my son. It is not a liquid; its a capsule filled with little dots(not a very good description).

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

You've gotten a lot of advice, but just to add to the other posts...Yes, Alimentum and Nutramigen are both hypoallergenic formulas, just different brands. I do think they may use a slightly different protein?--Satter goes in depth into the different compositions of various formulas in her Feeding with Good Sense book. I've read that hypo formulas can taste bitter b/c they're so highly processed, but my DS didn't seem to mind Alimentum. Just like regular formual, your DD might perfer one over the other. Carnation Good Start has partially (not fully) digested proteins, so I think it's easier on their stomachs, but not for those with milk allergy. My sisters DS did great on it after being very cranky on Enfamil, although he doesn't have a milk allergy. Good luck!
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

Thanks for the reply. DD is still doing having issues so I think I will have the ped switch her from Zantac to something else. I just haven't decided whether to switch DD back to Similac Advance or keep her on the Alimentum. She used to poop only every other day but she had one yesterday and two today. I think that's a good thing. Ped always asks us if DD is pooping every day, then I say "no, every other day", and she says "oh well that's okay".

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I've been told it's ok too, as long as it's soft. My advice would be to just switch one thing at a time, so you know what's causing the change.

p.s. I just saw your username. I grew up in MN! I'm out east now, but hoping to get back some day.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3