kaycee14 Guest

Default Zantac questions

I wasn't certain where to post this but since it's related to eating I put it here.

My DD was just put on Zantac (the dissoving tablet version) and I have a few questions for all the experienced Mommies and Daddies out there...

* Can they be dissolved in formula or just water?

* Is there a liquid version of this medicine?

* I'm currently having success in using a medicine dispensing pacifier. If this stops working, what method(s) do you use to get the medicine into your little one?

* What side effects have you noticed (if any) in your DC?

* Anyone know if I can keep using Gripe Water while she's taking the Zantac? It's the only thing that gets rid of hiccups.

Thanks for the help.
    Kathy
    Mommy to a wonderful baby girl
    http://b1.lilypie.com/IX8zm7.png

lilycat88 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: Zantac questions

My DD wasn't on Zantac but was on the Prevacid Solutabs which I'm assuming are fairly similar to the dissolvable Zantac. I didn't even know they did a dissolvable tablet. Everyone I've known who has used Zantac for the DC used the liquid version. So, yes, there is a liquid version. I've heard it's pretty strong tasting, though. The only other thing I can help with is a method of administering. The Prevacid Solutab dissolved into tiny tiny beads that stuck on the sides of bottles or medicine pacifiers. So, from early on...like the second dose...we just put the tablet in a baby spoon and just added a couple of drops of water and gave it to DD that way. The secret is to put JUST ENOUGH water to turn the tablet into paste and then put it in DC mouth and sort of scrape it off onto the tongue. We started doing tthis when DD was about 6 weeks old and still use it.

Jamelin
    DD Susanna 6/29/04

s7714 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

My DD was on the Zantac liquid for a couple of months during a short bout of bad reflux. It has a very strong peppermint scent and taste. Amazingly though my DD (about 10 or 11 months old at the time) took it without a fuss. She was a bit shocked the first time I tried to give it to her, but after the initial surprise wore off, she didn't think twice about taking it. (I just used the medicine dropper the pharmacy gave me with the prescription.) She never had any apparent side effects.

Jennifer
    Mommy to
    Miss Pure Energy 3/03
    Miss Antsy-Pants 6/05

Calling fellow BBB SoCal moms...we'd love to meet you!
    (100 posts & BBB member for 3 months req'd)
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/babybargainssocal/

lizzy79 Guest

My ds was put on Zantac when he was about 3 weeks old. He had the liquid form. It tasted nasty (yes, I taste whatever is going into my kid's mouth) and he did not like it. But I would pop the pacifier or boob in his mouth right after he took it and it would stay in. He only had to be on Zantac for about a month and a half. He eventually outgrew his reflux (or at least the heartburn part of it, he still spits up an extraordinary amount!). Good luck!

tina-t is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DD has been on the liquid Zantac since she was 3 weeks old. She screams and cries whenever we give it to her but it helps her reflux. We tasted it and it was nasty!

We do give her the Colicease gripe water and we have not noticed any problems. We asked the pharmacist to check for any interactions first though and we were told that it was ok to give together. We don't give it at the same time.

Good luck!
    Christina

Mom to 2 little ones