Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default RE: What the heck???

Speak with the director of the center. This is unacceptable.

Call during the day and ask when his last bottle was. Write a feeding schedule down, and post it in his cubby (or wherever else the DCP's will see it). Look for other day care options.

-Ry,
    mom to Emma, stillborn 11/04/04
    and Max, 01/05/06

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/35775.gif
    http://b1.lilypie.com/aKGqm5/.png[/img]

Radosti is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thanks! I spoke to the director this morning. She agreed that that was unacceptable and said she'd discuss it with them. The thing is, I wrote the feeding schedule on his daily sheet. They just ignored it. And I know they check it because they write down solids and diaper changes all day long. I don't know whether I am being unclear, but I don't know how much more clear I can be with them. He really likes it there, so I don't want to yank him out. I am very concerned though.
    DS1 12/05
    DS2 06/08
    DD 11/09

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts

What is the child-to-teacher ratio in his room? Is there one teacher who is responsible for feeding just your son, or is it sort of divided up (so maybe each teacher thought the other ones did it)? I would suggest labelling the bottles with times they should be offered, but if they're not bothering to pay attention to your schedule, it probably wouldn't help.

I personally would start looking into another daycare, if you can. You say it's the best in the area, but not feeding your child properly constantly doesn't sound so good to me.

Jen
    Jen, mom to
    Elliot (8/2/05) and
    Lexi (5/19/07)
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." --John Lennon

veronica is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

They should put up a dry erase board in the room and section it off with a square for each child. In there, they should allow you to write down what/when to eat and drink. They should revolve all of their activities with each child around this board and check off each item when complete. In NJ the state ratio is 4 infants per adult.
    After my my daycare (also the best in town and same price) "forgot" DD's bottle last week (after her going there for 6 months!!), hell hath no fury. I spoke with the director and owner and they revised their procedure so that each specific teacher in the room is assigned certain children for the major duties. That way, someone is held accountable when feedings are "forgotten" and you don't get clueless stares and "I'm sorry's" from everyone in the room. After what you have gone through, they should be remembering everything your DC needs and making it a point of priority.

Remember too that these places are licensed and are subject to inspections. You can go the route of reporting incidents to these agencies if you have to and also shop around for a new place.

Good luck!

I understand that you don't want to take him out a place that he likes. I've had some issues with DD's daycare, but just try to address them. Honestly, that is such a quick response to any problem, but you will find some sort of issue anywhere you go. My thought is to address the issue and if it isn't corrected after 3 attempts, then maybe it's time to look around. If it's a problem, then it may take a while for them to figure out a procedure to solve the problem. However, you would think that feeding routines would already be established.

If you like the place otherwise and feel they are taking good care of DS in all other aspects, then give them a chance to correct this before you go elsewhere. It's really hard to find a good place and such an adjustment for your DC to switch around.

I agree with PPs. If you don't get the satisfaction you need, then look elsewhere and report them. I also think one person should be responsible for certain children. They did that at DD's daycare the first few weeks with the new kids. Certain teachers looked out for certain kids so they had something reliable and consistent.

Keep us updated.

Today, the head teacher called me to tell me that they got him to eat his first bottle of the day (which he always fights, but doesn't fight the second or third) by swaddling his arms with a blanket. Once he got into drinking it, he settled right down and entered what I call his "dreamfeeding state" where he is just zoned out and either nursing or taking the bottle. Then, he went right down for a nap.

In my conversation with her on the phone, I just reiterated again how important it is for him to eat the bottles first and then solids. She tried to calm me (I was already calm) by saying, "Well, you shouldn't worry. He's a big kid and he's got some weight on him." EXCUSE ME??? That is not up to her to decide. Yes, he weighs 26 lbs, but he's not fat. I checked with his doctor and he has always kept true to his 97th percentile curve. He's not eating too much. And since when is 2.5 oz of milk an acceptable amt for a baby to eat between 7am and 5pm???

I didn't flip out. I just calmly stated that he lost 5 oz last week while in daycare and then nursed all weekend long to regain it. No infant should lose 5 oz in a week unless there is a darn good reason for it. And that reason shouldn't include the daycare forgetting to feed him.

They also have the state required ratio of 1 teacher to 4 kids. The problem yesterday was that they had their staff meeting and different teachers were in and out. Still, that's no excuse to FORGET to feed a baby. That's why there is a Daily experience sheet and they look at it to record diapers, solids and bottles. Everything else was recorded. They changed his diaper 5 times yesterday. Why didn't anyone notice the lack of bottles???
    DS1 12/05
    DS2 06/08
    DD 11/09

I'm so sorry. I honestly cannot understand how a daycare could let that happen - not just one day, but several days of feeding your DS incorrectly. Is he in a infant-only room? I don't understand why they wouldn't even think "Hey, hasn't it been a while since A's last bottle?" - do they not remember that BM/formula is supposed to be the MAIN source of nutrition for the first year? Very very odd. Personally, I would pull my child out. Too many mess-ups in too short a time - I would not be able to focus on work because I would be worrying about my DD. They are a daycare - this is what they do. They should at least know how to feed and care for a child properly - it is their JOB and you are PAYING them very well and they are not upholding their end of the deal. JMHO

Allison
    Mama to DD 11/05

So sorry this is happening to you. That is totally unacceptable for them to be forgetting to give your DS his bottles. That is something so basic. How could they forget? If it were me I would probably start looking into other daycares.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

Yeah, I've been going back and forth on this with myself. He honestly likes it there. They give him a lot of attention. Somehow, the feeding gets messed up. I think it's because he LOOKS like a toddler. He's 26 lbs (not fat, just big) and has a full mop of hair (which has been cut 4 times already). While it is an infant only room, they have about 4 kids who are slowly transitioning from the infant room to the toddler room. So, they are dealing with both infants and toddlers right now, not for much longer, but that's the way it is now. And Aaron really likes playing with the toddlers. So, that's not a problem. I really think that they are somehow lumping him with the toddlers because he looks so much like them.

Still, that's what the daily sheet is there for. If he's missing food, don't try to justify to me that my kid has some weight on him, so not to stress too much.

I think if there is one more incident, I will most likely pull him out. I can't have a weekly issue like that. Today, they fed him everything he was supposed to eat. Lets hope it continues.
    DS1 12/05
    DS2 06/08
    DD 11/09

doberbrat is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

OK- this may sound strong but I say you call up the director and make an appt and have a nice little "Chat".

Explain that part of caring for children is FEEDING them and that failure to do so constitutes neglect and that you are documenting the incidents and that if there is ONE more incident, you will not only pull your child but you will call in the authorities and file a report for child neglect.

And furthermore, you do not want to hear that your kid is up there in percentages or whatever so its not an issue. EVER AGAIN

I'd go so far as to demand to have that teacher removed from his care

I'm so steamed up over this I can barely type straight.

Yes, dc isnt perfect and every center will have issues but this one is pretty basic - cant get more basic than feed the child and put a clean diaper on. and they've screwed it up TWICE already?? Uhm, no.

Demand the director have a written plan to ensure that this will NEVER EVER happen again. I dont care if it means that SHE goes down there herself and checks every hour to make sure your child (and every other one in there) has been fed properly to your specifications.

and I'd start looking too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast