Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Canna is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: How much breast milk should I be producing?

I have never been able to pump much more than 1oz or 2oz from each breast and my DD was exclusively breastfed (really ate virtually no solids) until around 10 or 11 months. Pumping is no indication of how much milk you are producing.

It is also normal for your baby to need to nurse very often. Especially in the evenings. This is called "cluster feeding". I had never heard of this and when DD was new, I asked my pediatrician about it. I was slightly worried about my supply but he said not to worry at all - it is normal for them to cluster feed, especially in the evenings or when they are having growth-spurts (which can seem like all the time.)

The best thing you can do for your supply is just to nurse, nurse, nurse, and not supplement. The more you nurse, the more milk your breasts will make.

It is also perfectly alright to nurse when you are sick. There is no need to stop nursing for that reason. I would put your baby to the breast right away and continue to do so as often as you think she might be hungry.

Congratulations and a big Welcome to your new baby girl!

All the PPs gave lots of excellent advice, so I don't really have much to add (except listen to them! :))

My left and right side were totally different in terms of production. No matter what I did, my left side just never produced as much as the right (and yes, I looked a little lopsided sometimes! lol) It bothered me at first, but I figured they did what they did, and that was that. I don't think it's uncommon, although women who pump probably notice it more (since they're quantifying how much milk is produced).

Also, I never squirted or leaked, and I made plenty of milk for E, so don't let that discourage you.

Good luck...you can do it!

Jen
    Jen, mom to
    Elliot (8/2/05) and
    Lexi (5/19/07)
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." --John Lennon

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Congratulations on your new baby! Okay, unless there is a problem I would stop supplementing and let your baby nurse on demand. The more she nurses, the more milk your body will generate.

If you get sick there is no need to stop nursing unless you are taking medication that the ped says is dangerous for the baby. For a stomach bug I wouldn't worry. And pumping never gets you as much as your baby.

I've never taken the herbs you mention but I used to drink lots of Organic Mothers Milk tea. It's very easy on the stomach. And drink lots of water! Get plenty to eat, esp. protein.

I'm glad you told your mom and grandma not to say discouraging things to you anymore. Last thing you need!
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

You have gotten a lot of great advice so far. Just wanted to chime in that if you are taking something that contains fenugreek, that can cause diarrhea. Stop the herbals for now and find a good lactation consultant to help you calm your worries and make sure your babe is getting enough. They have special scales that they use to weigh DC before and after a feeding that will give you a better idea of how much she is really getting.

Supply issues do exist (unfortunately, I have personal experience with this) and you do want to be sure that your DD is getting what she needs. A good LC will help you build a successful BFing relationship so you don't give up as many women do who don't have the support they need at this difficult time.

Default too much milk???

My baby is a week and 2 days old. Ive been breastfeeding and pumping to help with discomfort. ive noticed that even after feeding, i can still pump 8 oz. i know that every nursing mom is different and some proudce more milk then others. but is 8 oz alot this early???

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

You might want to not pump b/c you are sending your body the message that it needs to make more milk! Even if you are building up a stash, you might want to hold off a bit longer while you are trying to build the right supply for you and baby. Hand express to relieve most of the discomfort. The #s don't really matter- all that matters is what is right for you and baby. i could pump well too, btw, though I didn't have to do it often.

Beth

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

If DD has a normal amount of wet/poopy dipes, I wouldn't supplement at all. I'd just BF on demand, which will help build up your supply to where she needs it. Even if there are times she wants to nurse more frequently, just do it, and trust that your body will adjust. Supplementing is a slipperly slope that can lead to more supplementing and loss of supply. With a cold virus, I would totally keep nursing. You are transmitting antibodies to DD that will protect her. You can't "catch" a cold through nursing (through mucous, coughs, and germs on hands, yes).

ETA: Grandmas saying that you don't have enough milk is something that used to happen a lot. It really undermines the bfing relationship and you're right to ask them to stop saying that.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

It's normal for babies to want to nurse several times in a row (cluster feeding) or at varying intervals. All normal. Also, nursing at night produces more prolactin, so is important for building supply. Just go with the flow for now and she should reduce the freq. of her night feedings as she gets older. I totally know the feeling of wondering if you're producing enough. IMO, beginning BFing can be largely an information, suppport, and confidence issue. A good LC and LLL meetings can help a lot. You can find a local LLL group via the internet. They are usually very friendly groups with lots of support and advice on Bfing.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

Talking So excited

so we had our 2 week visit today, and i am excited to share that my little guy is growing very well. the day i delivered he was 6 lbs 11.6 oz.. he lost the normal hospital weight, and at a weight check a week later he was back to birth weight. now at 2 weeks old he is a whooping 7 lbs 5 oz. Im extremely excited b/c as a new mom and a nursing mom, we all have concerns if our babies are getting enough milk.. so happy that he is
    i love being a mommy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2