Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Rachels is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: Advice from the Nutritionist (and update)

Lisa and I talked by phone, but I thought I'd post the answer to this in case others were interested. As for PediaSure, the nutritionist said it was better to use fortified milk (see recipe above). It has more fat and calories, costs less by a mile, and has fewer preservatives and less sodium.

As for nursing...I don't know. She did not recommend that I cut down on nursing, and I wouldn't have even if she had. Breastmilk continues to carry multiple advantages into toddlerhood and early childhood. Here are some links that have a lot of useful info and research about extended breastfeeding:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/index.html
    http://www.promom.org/bf_info/toddler.htm

Also, the W.H.O. and UNICEF recommend nursing until AT LEAST two years of age, and they don't qualify that at all. They don't say, "Nurse until two at minimum unless your baby isn't gaining well, in which case you should nurse less and feed more solids."

It's worth noting that the W.H.O. is developing growth charts purely for breastfed babies, because the growth rates of formula-fed babies are different. Current growth charts at your ped's office are for formula-fed babies as well. Remember that formula is usually cow's milk-- which is designed to help little cows double in size within their first month. Unless it's organic, it also will include bovine growth hormone, to make the process even faster. Breastmilk doesn't have any of that, and it's designed to help little people grow at the rate little people are supposed to. That's why it makes sense to separate the growth charts. What looks like low weight gain might just be normal for breastfed infants. You can see preliminary breastfed baby charts online-- I think ProMom has them.

-Rachel
    Mom to Abigail Rose
    5/18/02

wendmatt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thankyou so much for all your info Rachel, you're amaziing to take the time to type out all that. Thanks also for the info about nursing. Emily loves to nurse and I don't want to force formula on her. She was 2 weeks late so she was big at birth and has dropped from the 95th to 10th percentile. She looks healthy to me (not skinny)and eats quite well and has grown in height, but seems to be stretching out rather than getting rounder. Ped says to worry, but after reading your info I'm less worried, so Thankyou a million.

Oh, my pleasure. I'm glad it was helpful. (And I agree-- don't worry! If your baby is nursing well and is healthy, no need to supplement.)

-Rachel
    Mom to Abigail Rose
    5/18/02

ginalc Guest

Hi Rachel,

Something else that can help is to offer "dipping sauces" in little cups at meal times as well. I have used salad dressings of different colors (blue cheese, wrangler, etc.) to add some calories to veggies. My oldest DD LOVED veggies and I too needed to add some fat to her diet. The cups worked wonders for us.

Good luck with the new diet. I hope Abigail finds some of these foods yummy enough to fill her little tummy and put on some weight! :)

gina, mom to 3

barbarhow Guest

Another thank you! My ds is also "little". 75th %ile for height and 10th for weight. He looks very healthy to me. Is developmentally on target, happy and alert. That doesn't mean that at times I don't question whether I am doing the right thing bfing. My friends baby was born the day before ds and weighs 22 lbs. DS is only 14. I try not to compare but it is hard. It really helps to know that there is a difference in weight gains for bf babies. Thanks!
    Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

You're welcome! You're doing a wonderful thing for your baby by nursing him. You're giving him the food your body prepared especially for his needs. Babies grow at different rates, especially if one is formula fed and one is breastfed. The growth charts also represent a normal curve, the very nature of which makes it impossible for every baby to be right at the average mark. Being in the tenth percentile is not any "worse" than being in the fiftieth, or the ninetieth. It's just a way of keeping track, and it's also flawed. If your baby is happy and healthy and meeting milestones, you're not doing either of you any favors by comparing him to others! It makes me a little sad to hear that you question whether breastfeeding is the best thing for your baby. Just remember: your body knew exactly how to grow this phenomenal little creature, and you didn't need help to figure out exactly where his ears should go or exactly when he should get fingernails. It's a miraculous, perfect system. Your body, which knew so well how to grow and deliver your baby, is the very same body which started producing food for him immediately upon his arrival. It knows exactly what he needs, and you're doing him a favor by giving it to him. If you need a psychological boost, though, check out this link. It's VERY interesting, and reassuring.

http://www.promom.org/101/index.html

Keep up the good work!

-Rachel
    Mom to Abigail Rose
    5/18/02

barbarhow Guest

It's not so much that I question doing it-I love doing it-but when the doctor and family and friends comment on how "tiny" my little peanut is-I start feeling a tad inadequate. I do-in my logical brain, know that the bfing is the best thing for him. I will definately check out the link. Thanks!

Rachel - I liked that promom site. I went to the part about the 3 minute activist and was impressed at what they had done to try to promote more public awareness with breastfeeding.

Thanks for the link, it was interesting!
    Mom to R and R

peanut4us Guest

Here, here to this whole post! DD is only 2 weeks older than your son and she's just shy of 15 pounds. She seems good and chunky to me and has been entirely healthy for better than a month now (what a relief, whew!).

I'm very interested to see the growth curve from W.H.O. Rachel, do you know when that is going to be done?

barbarhow Guest

I love the promom web-I would love to print the 101 reasons to breastfeed and hand it to anyone who raises a brow....
    And thanks Joey for your input, too. He actually appears to be chunking up a bit lately.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast