sadie_beth_1124 Guest

Default 1 yr-old with hemorrhoids-- what to do??

This is about my niece; not sure of best place to post.

My heart breaks over my little niece who will turn 1 in a week. My sis works, and pumps during the day. She usually only gets enough for only one bottle, so she does formula for the rest. Baby had been constipated for some time (and she's never been the type to poop much) and sis has been giving her suppositories every few days, but supposedly the docotr has said she "needs to learn to poop on her own". For the past few weeks or so, baby has been periodically refusing bottles (except for EBM), Sis tried changing her formula but she wouldn't take it.
    Wednesday she stopped drinking anything other than BM & EBM. She had a suppository & made her regular large, hard, dry stools. And that's when we discovered the hemorrhoids. :( Clearly she is on her bottle strike because of the pain she associates with it. Luckily, she'll eat solids, and gets prunes mixed in but honestly I dont' know how often. But she really needs liquids too.
    I know she'll be on whole milk soon, but 1) will that even help? and 2) what to do in the mean time? She won't get the 1 yr checkup for another week, and the little girl is in AGONY. She seriously cries all the time. I had them when Iwas PG & I know how bad they hurt! I think there is also seperation anxiety too, but I don't know what can be done about that, aside from sis quitting work & I don't think she is about to do that.

Sorry this was so long. Hopefully it made sense! I'm not sleeping much w/ a 4 mo old of my own.
    Any help or experience appreciated. I hate that my formerly happy niece is in such pain, and I know my sister is beside herself with worry and guilt.

Thanks!

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: 1 yr-old with hemorrhoids-- what to do??

If her DD is in agony, she needs to call the pediatrician, not wait another week!

I doubt that her bottle strike is because of the pain of the hemorrhoid; she is too young to understand that there is a distant connection. But if she isn't getting enough fluids, that will contribute to her constipation.

Is there any way that she can spend this weekend nursing her exclusively (since she will take breastmilk and it is good for her tummy and will make it easier to poop) - nursing as often and as much as baby wants, to rebuild her supply? Drinking lots of water, too? If you nurse your baby, can you give her some EBM to give her baby (it is your sister's baby, so you aren't some stranger)?

Will she drink water? That might help. Do you know how often she is having wet diapers? If she's not having enough then this may be an emergency. But since she is drinking BM, she's probably not too dehydrated.

If she were my baby and not drinking well, I might try pushing foods with a higher water content - like fruits and veggies. Soup? Might even try baby food. At one-year old, I'd also see if there was ANYTHING she'd drink (not just BM, milk or water) - juice, smoothie. When my DS was really sick with the stomach flu and in desperate need of fluids, I found he'd take chicken broth (low sodium) in a bottle. (Kinda weird, I know.) Also, at this age my DS loves to *try* to drink from a regular cup (with me holding it). That might be away to get her to drink a little more.

To ease the discomfort of hemerrhoids, can you use witch hazel on a baby's butt? (That is what is in Tucks wipes.) Or, maybe put a cold cloth on the hemerrhoids if you can see them. Or, squirt cold water on them - or a cool bath??

I think a call to the dr. is in order - at the very least to see if there is anything over the counter you can give her to help with the hemorrhoids and/or constipation.

I don't have any person experience with this...just trying to throw out ideas.

sadie_beth_1124 Guest

I haven't spoken to her since then, I plan to check in with her today. Hopefully she's called the doctor. I will advise about the liquids & nursing. This is a big weekend, it's her & her big brother's 3rd birthday combined party. Hopefully by Sunday she will be happier and can enjoy it somewhat.

Thanks for the advice. Still curious what to do about the actual 'roids themselves. They are internal (probably had them for awhile before they made themselves known) & now some external ones too. At least now we know why she's been so upset lately.

At one year you might also try the Gerber Pear juice, it's safe and it works wonders around here for constipation in both my godson (2) and the little boy I babysit (9 months - we mix his cereal with it).

As to what to do for the 'roids themselves, I would definitely consult a pediatrician for something like that in a child that young, especially if there are a few of them... poor baby.

Hope she gets well soon!

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

>Thanks for the advice. Still curious what to do about the
    >actual 'roids themselves. They are internal (probably had them
    >for awhile before they made themselves known) & now some
    >external ones too.

This is where she needs to call her ped - most of the hemorroid medications out there are probably not safe for a 1yo baby, and I personally prefer to get my medical advice from a doctor over a message board. Sorry if I sound harsh, but that *is* why we have peds and why they get the big bucks!

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Ohhh, I feel for her! You're right, the lack of liquids would definitely contribute to the problem. I would put prune juice in every solid meal she had for awhile, and BF as much as possible. Maybe take some mother's milk to temp increase supply. I wonder if the iron in the formula is contributing too? Did she call the ped and ask if she can use tucks or anything or if they had any other ideas? Poor girl! Let us know how this resolves, I'm sure it can't happen soon enough.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

How about a bit of flax seed oil in her food? That should help slick things up, and its so good for her too.
    Nancy
    DD Cara Flynn 10-25-05
    DD Lilah Jane 10-25-10 (How about that?)

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Is she drinking any juice? My DS had some issues with constipation at 6 weeks and from then till probably closer to 9months of age he had an ounce of prune juice in 2 or 3 ounces of water everyday! He loved his sweet bottle and it kept him regular. I would try to get her to drink ANY liquids.... water, apple, pear, prune, gatorade, pedialite. Is she giving her anything for pain? I don't think giving her some Tylenol or Motrin would hurt since she is obviously in pain. When we used a suppository my ped suggested a liquid glycerin suppository over the little gel pellet things. It was made by a company called Fleet. It would probably be easier on her than having something inserted and pushed up too.

I would just increase the fruits and vegis.... anything to give her liquids/fluids and roughage to move things along! I would steer clear of anything constipating... cereals, bananas, applesauce, rice, cheese.

I hope they can get things figured out! If her ped is not helpful then she should find a pediatric gastroenterologist!!!!

~Tondi
    Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05