Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mommy2cutieboys Guest

Default HELP!!!!! Projectile vomiting from formula!!!!!!

Hi everyone. A few weeks ago many of you were such great help in helping me with choosing a bottle to feed my BF'd baby. So far great with EBM, that's the good news!

The bad news is: I'm not very productive with pumping and don't get more than 3-4 oz. at a time and haven't been diligent at all about it! So today DH and I decided to try and give him a bottle of Enfamil Lipil. At first, all seemed well. But after about 2 hours, OMG, he started projectile vomiting and this continued until we were so frantic we took him to his ped. He told me to STOP nursing him, give him Pedialyte, and start slowing with Alimentum. I politely nodded and promised to do so!! How can a DR. suggest that formula is a better substitute for breastmilk? My baby has never had vomiting from BF'ing. He also said it was probably a virus but his CBC was normal, conclusion - NO VIRUS!!! He still insisted it wasn't due to the formula!!! So my question is, has this happened to any of your precious children? were you able to supplement (atleast 1 bottle) with formula? If so, what formula? Or am I simply crazy for doubting the good dr.'s advice?

Thanks,
    a very nervous mama

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default RE: HELP!!!!! Projectile vomiting from formula!!!!!!

I haven't btdt.

That seems like really, really strange advice though. I could see him suggesting nursing and using Alimentum for formula rather than the Enfamil. That would be the route I would take (though I may consider trying the formula again just to make sure you get the same reaction again).

I would doubt the advice. Unfortunately many Drs. are woefully ill informed on breastfeeding. Some try and others don't.

I hope that you find a good solution and that ds feels better.

Beth

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Okay, that ped is nuts.

KEEP NURSING YOUR CHILD.

Obviously it's the formula. Perhaps a dairy allergy and you should try the soy based kind instead?

~ deb
    DS born at home 12/03
    Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/sty...onths-bfar.jpg

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

OMG, you must have freaked out. I definitely agree with you that the Dr's advice makes absolutely no sense. If anything, you'd think he'd be helping you increase your pumping output since you know he does great with ebm. Plus, I'd be concerned with dehydration after all of the vomitting- breast milk is top notch for combating that.

I'm sorry, I never saw your other post, so I don't know your situation. Are you not able to feed the baby directly from the breast or are you just pumping occasionally? How old is the baby?

I am a horrible pumper- I typical can't pump more than 2 oz no matter what I've tried, but there are many things worth giving a shot. Have you checked kellymom.com for tips? How about some pumping groups? Also, keep in mind that supplementing is a slippery slope. Once you start, it's really easy for your production to drop even further.

Anyway, best of luck. I hope something works out for you. Keep up the good work, and remember to trust your instincts- doctors are not gods, and they often have an appalling lack of bf knowledge.

eta Found the other post!
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

mommy2cutieboys Guest

I FREAKED OUT BIG TIME!!!!!!!! I was so scared and cried buckets!!! His suggestion seemed so crazy to me!! I can nurse fine, but I will be returning to work in about 2 weeks and he will be going to daycare. So although, we found the right bottles (thank goodness), my pumping is not going so great!! So we just wanted to try the formula! My son is 4 and a half months old. Weighing in at 17 lbs.!!!!! So obviously, he's healthy!! I will definitely check out the website you recommended

P.S. I learned the HARD way to not take Dr's words as gospel and trust my gut feelings!

nov04 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

It seems as though you gave him a bottle of straight formula from your posting. Changing a baby from one thing to another (bm/formula or formula/formula) suddenly could definitely cause vomitting. He's been used to one thing for months, his stomach can't handle a change like that.

My suggestion (as one who went through 5 formulas trying to find one suitable for dd) is to gradually introduce formula (enfamil might work gradually), maybe 1/4 of a bottle (w/ 3/4 ebm) and gradually work up to a full one.

Oh yeah, the ped. definintely sounds nuts for suggesting you stop nursing.
    Jos
    dd1 10/2004 prenatal stroke survivor w/ speech delay and dysarthria
    dd2 02/2007 asthma

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh ((((hugs))))) Poor mama! On the plus side, you still have 2 weeks to find something that will work. Sounds like he is giving you a run for your money between the bottles and now this! Reminds me of a certain little boy I know..... ;)

I detest pumping, so I feel for you. I had to pump exclusively for 8 days when my son had his surgery, and I didn't think I would make it through it. Hang in there. Something will work out- it always does. :)
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

Clarity is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I just wanted to tell you that I don't like pumping much either and wasn't real diligent early on with pumping but I do it now, because I have to for my own comfort and because I still want to bf on the weekends so I needed to keep up my supply.

With two weeks left, it's not to late to work on building your supply so that you produce enough when you go back to work. I'm a milk machine, but I've found that I pump more milk when I pump both sides simultaneously. Something about the double pump triggers a better let down. Perhaps it might work for you, too? Just a suggestion!

Best of luck, going back to work is hard!

mommy2cutieboys Guest

Thanks for the advice. I never considered double-pumping (sounds dumb, I know)! I will definitely start doing so. Hopefully, that will help!

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Haven't BTDT but this did happen to a friend of mine. Her ds is normally bfed, but she wanted to try formula. Both times she gave it to him, both times he projectile vomited. It wasn't till later that she found out that her dh's family has a history of dairy allergies. But after the second episode her ds freaked everytime he saw the bottle. Goodness, wouldn't you?
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast