Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default how much babyfood?

I just started my 4 month old on baby food and she LOVES it!!!! This is so different from my DD1, who basically wanted nothing solid until she was about 9 months old.....So my question is, how much baby food should she get in a day? She'll finish a whole jar in a sitting, so is 2-3 jars per day too much? I already struggle to keep my breastmilk supply up, so if she nurses much less (because she is eating solids) then I think I will dry up completely!

Thanks,

Susan

Default RE: how much babyfood?

Honestly, I wouldn't be giving her any solids considering your supply issues. She doesn't need them and they'll simply fill her up and not want to nurse.

A serving is one tablespoon per *year* of age so I wouldn't do much more than that.

Hth.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url] http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

I love them most when they are sleeping.--Me
    http://b4.lilypie.com/HSUwm4.png
    http://b2.lilypie.com/UgAXm5.png

>
    >A serving is one tablespoon per *year* of age so I wouldn't do
    >much more than that.

Really? Where does this figure come from?

Sillygirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would also limit the baby food. Your BM is so much more nutritious than anything that comes in a jar or a box. Use the solids for a little "dessert" after a nursing session. And if you're having supply issues, I think it's totally reasonable to abandon the solids for now and add more nursing sessions if at all possible.
    Katie, Mom to two boys
    Retraining my dopamine circuits thanks to David Kessler, MD.
    Jonathan: Halloween 2004
    Alex: A smidge past Groundhog Day 2007

Take it slow. Baby food is pure carbs, so if baby fills up on jarred food she won't take in as much breastmilk which is what she really *needs* for the fat, protien, etc. Since your supply is already an issue, I would not give her any more than half a jar, a day until she is at least 6 months old, and even then not much more. For the first year of life baby food should just be for practice - it shouldn't be what they are filling up on. Breastmilk and/or formula should be the main food for the firts year of life (meaning they should not be taking in the majority of their calories from baby food).

Lisa
    Emma 11/02
    Adam 2/07
    Their hands may be small but their feelings are just as big as ours.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

This is a good feeding schedule that breaks down what food baby should be eating when.
    http://www.earthsbest.com/baby_nutri...dule_print.php

I agree with the others about focusing on the nursing relationship. At 4 months baby doesn't have a need for solids. Around 9 months a bf baby's iron level may need a boost that culd be offered through solids. Otherwise for the 1st year they are just for practice. :)

Beth

Beth

I agree with the others nursing comes first. did not worked for us so DS is on formula. which is still important for him to get since the amount of solids they consume in this age can't replace BM or formula.
    We started solids 1 month ago when DS was 4.5 month old. The ped said to start in the morning after his bottle with cereal ( I started with oatmeal because he is constipated) for 3 days just 1 tea spoon then as much as he like, after a week I started with fruits at lunch time after the bottle (again fruits because of constipation problem (prunes are great) otherwise it should be veg ). Don't give anything before nursing. He eats the same amount of formula and then fruits sometimes a little sometimes the whole jar. He doesn't eat less during the day but he reduced the amount at night feeding. Actually it seems he is about to drop it ( the 1 am feeding). I don't mind :). We are now starting veg. My ped said that for now ( he is 5.5) he should on;y have 4 solids a day (only after bottle) morning cereal lunch fruit 5pm veg dinner cereal.

Hope it helps.

Thank you everyone for all of your advice. My DD enjoys the baby food so much (squeals! laughs!) that it is hard to cut down. It is really fun to feed her. But, I do not want my meager breastmilk supply to diminish, so I am going to try to limit her to one jar per day for now. I know people are saying she should get less, but one jar is only 45 calories, and she drinks huge amounts of breastmilk and formula now, so I don't think it will have too much of a negative effect on her.

Thanks again!

Susan

Just keep in mind this is the beginning of setting limits. When she is 2 and loves candy, you aren't going to keep giving it to her just because she likes it and it's fun to see her squeal for it. I'm not saying that solid food is the same as candy, but you will need to be the one in control of what is healthy for her. The calories in jarred food are pretty much "empty" - her tummy is going to fill up on so little of calories. She'll *feel* full on just 45 calories. She would get more calories (and other really important nutrients) on the same amount of breastmilk or formula.
    Lisa
    Emma 11/02
    Adam 2/07
    Their hands may be small but their feelings are just as big as ours.

schums is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Both DC were HUGE formula drinkers too. We were at 40+ ounces a day, consistently, when we started solids. Even after getting to several meals of solids a day (similar to the schedule PP mentioned above), we were still at 32+ ounces every day. I know it's a bit different with BF, where you can't count the ounces directly, but if she's not decreasing the amount of BM/formula dramatically with what you're feeding her now, I really wouldn't worry about it.

HTH,
    Sarah
    Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast