Default Is almond extract a no-no for babies?

My sister is baking coconut cupcakes for my mom's birthday tomorrow, and both the recipe and frosting call for almond extract. Does anyone know if it is OK for a 16-month-old to eat it, or is it off limits like a regular nut?

Thanks in advance!
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Default RE: Is almond extract a no-no for babies?

Is it real extract or synthetic (I assume both are available, like vanilla)? Almond extract is mostly alcohol, and very little is used in baking, and even less will be consumed by your son. So I'd say it's probably ok, but maybe someone with nut allergies can chime in.
    Jen, mom to
    Elliot (8/2/05) and
    Lexi (5/19/07)
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." --John Lennon

LarsMal is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have a tree nut allergy and avoid all almond extracts. I believe there are two different kinds, though- the almond flavor (not real almonds) and the extract that's real.

If your 16mo doesn't have any allergies I would think it's okay. It probably doesn't have that much, and will be spread throughout the batter/icing.

Thanks, ladies! It was real almond extract. DS does not have any allergies that we are aware of, but I wanted to be on the safe side. I called my sister to talk it over with her, and she just decided to leave it out of the cupcakes. I'm sure butter, sugar, flour, eggs, and coconut won't taste all THAT bad without the almond extract. :)

Thanks again!
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009