Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default RE: Halloween candy substitutes

We give out Crayons to the younger kids...

www.crayola.com Sells 4 packs of crayons 24 packs for 6.99- we used them in our wedding favors... that's how I found them. We also printed up a bunch of Halloween coloring pages and rolled them up with the crayons...

Very cheap, and good for the teeth.

TonFirst is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We don't get a ton of trick-or-treaters - maybe 35, total - so I think I'm going to do these little duckies from Oriental Trading:

http://www.orientaltrading.com/appli...RUBBER+DUCKIES

KBecks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default We might max out at 30 kids for Trick or Treat

We live on a quiet cul-de-sac street in a mature neighborhood and I don't think we get more than 30 kids. Our neighbor at the very end and with a long driveway gives out $1s and I don't think he gets that many kids either. Maybe word about that will get out. I like the glow necklace/bracelet idea except for the fact our traffic is so low.

I feed my kids raisins every day. Well they get candy practically every day too. I hope I am not setting myself up for cavities.

Karen, mom to three beautiful boys, 10/2004, 7/2006 and 10/2008!
    trying to spend less time online, doh!

*I regret choosing circumcision for my sons.*
    Our new arrival is NOT circed.

Last year, Matthew left the majority of his candy in a bag (I let him keep a few pieces) for the Halloween Witch and Wizard. In return, he received a Matchbox car set. He was thrilled. And the Halloween Wizard happily took the candy to work the next day. ;)
    -Melissa
    Mom to M (2002) & M (2014)

AddiesMom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I also did the Play Dough last year and it was a big hit. BJ's had a 60-pack for $9.99. They also had it at the grocery store in small packs but more expensive.
    - Michelle

Addison 11/9/05

Go Red Sox!

I was at Sam's yesterday and they have the Playdoh packs and small popcorn packs that have previously been mentioned. I purchased a few containers of the Utz Halloween pretzel treats. The plastic pumpkin-shaped container has 60 1/2 oz. snack bags of pumpkin and bat shaped pretzels for 5.88. Now to hide them from my boys so they last until Halloween! I can also use the pumpkin for craft or small toy storage once the container is empty.

Dyonia is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I wanted to say thanks for this idea -- it truly is a great one!

Since several other posters also liked your suggestion, I wanted to share that we found the glow sticks with connectors at Dollar Tree in a tube of 15 for $1. That works out to 6.7 cents per bracelet, and we won't have to pay shipping.

The ones I picked up are "Play Glow" brand. The glow sticks in this particular set are the exact same thing as the bracelets -- I picked up a package of each to make sure. I actully like the connector that is included with the glow sticks (it self-centers) better than tbe plain tubing connector that comes with the bracelet package.

DD is having lots of fun with the ones we are testing out :)

Thank you again for sharing your idea!

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

In the past we've done little toys from Target or Oriental Trading Company, but I'll admit I don't necessarily like proliferating the amount of small plastic crap in the world. I'm going to read the rest of this thread and hope for some more ideas!

Boy - 10 years, Girl - 6 Years Old!, (What am I still doing here?! LOL) Dog - Eternal Puppy , Me - Done .

>Last year, Matthew left the majority of his candy in a bag (I
    >let him keep a few pieces) for the Halloween Witch and Wizard.
    >In return, he received a Matchbox car set. He was thrilled.
    >And the Halloween Wizard happily took the candy to work the
    >next day. ;)

Same here except it's the Halloween Fairy. Since Halloween is not even a week before Ds' birthday, it's usually a small thing I've already stashed away for his birthday haul. I guess I will have to think of something for Dd this year, too! Last year was the first year I needed to do anything for Ds. In previous years he just had fun TOTing and could not have cared less what went in his bag or where it went over night. We generally don't go out much, and just prefer to go to a school event and then hand out the goods at home.
    Boy - 10 years, Girl - 6 Years Old!, (What am I still doing here?! LOL) Dog - Eternal Puppy , Me - Done .

Okay, I'm just about sold on these bracelets, but one question - did you also give them to the toddlers, or have something else for them?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast