Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mjw is offline Bronze level (10+ posts)

Default Which Organic Dairy Formula Brand: Earth's Best vs. Baby's Only vs. Similac Organic vs. Parent's Choice ?

Earth's Best vs. Similac Organic vs. Baby's Only vs. Parent's Choice -- was wondering if there was any consensus on what organic formula would be best to use?

A couple of issues that I found in my research:

1. "Baby's Only" is a toddler formula (manufacturer recommended we breastfeed till 1 year!!) -- does this mean it could not be give to a 6 month old baby?

2. Re: DHA & ARA "Baby's Only" says "Baby’s Only Organic pediatric formulas contain two essential (precursor) fats: Alpha-Linolenic Acid (ALA) and Linoleic Acid (LA). Alpha-Linolenic and Linoleic fatty acids are called “essential� because the human body cannot make these fats and therefore it is essential to derive them from food sources. Alpha-Linolenic Acid is an omega-3 used by the body to make Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA). Linoleic Acid is an omega-6 used by the body to make Arachidonic Acid (ARA). DHA and ARA are called “non-essential� fatty acids because full-term, healthy infants, children, and adults can manufacture these from Alpha-Linolenic and Linoleic fatty acids"

Does this mean the DHA and ARA in the other formulas are "unnecessary"?

3. Earth's Best (fka Horizon) have only recently (4 weeks ago?) added DHA & ARA to their dairy formula. Not lsited on the website but can be seen on some cans. Some stores still have older stock. In NYC fairway had old ($12.99) but Whole foods new ($17.99) -- still waiting to hear back from Freshdirect ($10.99)

4. Horizon did not do well on this survey http://cornucopia.org/dairysurvey/index.html. Does that mean Earth's Best would be somewhat suspect (I got this link from the Baby's Only site)

**** Also, where is the best place to purchase organic formula online? Buyers of Parent's Choice seem to be out of luck since its only sold at Wal-Mart and not on thier website.

Default RE: Which Organic Dairy Formula Brand: Earth's Best vs. Baby's Only vs. Similac Organic vs. Parent's Choice ?

One more tidbit of info:

5. It appears that PBM Products (the makers of Parent's Choice and other store-brand formulas ) also make Bright Beginnings Organic:

http://www.brightbeginnings.com/prod...by-formula.asp

Any opinions (or links to opinions) on this or any of the other brands mentioned above greatly appreciated!

Default RE: Which Organic Dairy Formula Brand: Earth's Best vs. Baby's Only vs. Similac Organic vs. Parent's Choice ?

With my ped's blessing I started my DS on the Baby's Only Organic Soy Formula at 6 months. Even though it is called a toddler formula The nutritional breakdown is the same as all other commercial formulas. They only call it a toddler formula because the company that makes it advocates nursing until 1 year old.

The main reason I went with the Baby's Only brand is the carbohydrate that they use- organic brown rice syrup. The Similac organic had evaporated cane juice (pure sugar) and Earth's Best had organic corn syrup solids (highly allergenic.) If I remember correctly the Parent's Choice carbohydrate was lactose- because it is milk based. We went with the soy formula to prevent any dairy issues.

We buy our formula online from the naturesone.com website They have free shipping and will price match any other internet price. Nature's One is the company that makes the Baby's Only formula.

We have been very happy with our choice! Hope this helps.

Merianne

val01 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Merianne,

Thank you for your reply. This is REALLY good info. My daugther is allergic/intolerant to milk. Because of that, our ped doesn't want her on corn either. As you know 99% of formulas have corn in them. We went to Elecare (an Amino Acid based formula) because I wasn't aware of any alternatives. I will print the info from Natures only and discuss with my pedaitrician. Of course, Elecare is $31.50 a can - OUCH!

How much do you go through per week? I think that my DD is about the same age as your DS.

Thanks,
    Valerie

Valerie,

My DS is 10 mo. and usually drinks 4 6-8oz bottles every day. I also use 4 oz of formula a day to make his cereal. We use 2.5-3 cans of the formula every week. I know it's not much but if you save the UPCs for 24 cans Natures Only will send you coupons for 2 free cans of formula. Good luck!

Merianne

val01 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I got the go-ahead to try it. Do you normally buy it from them or somewhere else? Thanks!

Valerie

We've gotten it from Whole Foods and Nature's Only. Whole Foods is about 20 cents more a can but it's good to be able to get it at a real store if you're low or waiting on a shipment. On the Nature's Only website there is also a search function to find stores in your area that carry it. Good luck!

Merianne

For those in NYC, I think i saw it at Fairway (W 74th & Bway) for $10.99

I spoke to DS's pediatrician and she had a minor concern the high calcium content in Baby's Own Dairy Formula might pose a risk of kidney stones.... does anyone have any thoughts on this?

>I spoke to DS's pediatrician and she had a minor concern the
    >high calcium content in Baby's Own Dairy Formula might pose a
    >risk of kidney stones.... does anyone have any thoughts on
    >this?
    >
    >
    Do you happened to know what the BO calcium content is listed per serving. I think www.askdrgreene.com lists that babies over 1 year of age need 500 mg calcium a day.

BTW Thanks so much to the PP on the BO soy formula. DD is dairy intolerant and has been on the Go and Grow Soy Formula with success, but I've not been happy that they use corn syrup as the main ingredient!

Ann

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast