Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    ilovetivo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default How many of you are, or were, parents of food allergic kids?

Including non-IgE mediated allergies (like EOS or FPIES etc). I'm just curious of how many of us there are here.

DD is allergic to dairy (confirmed) and has milk protein induced enterocolitis. Peanut and tree nut highly suspect, fish possibly. We avoid all of these, as well as shellfish, like it's an allergy as well. Seeds we watch carefully, but it's not an allergy. She was diagnosed at 10 months. DD outgrew her egg allergy at 23 months.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: How many of you are, or were, parents of food allergic kids?

I dont have any with food allergies but my oldest is allergic to dogs,feathers, everything that is green or grows, molds and cockroaches ( that was part of the testing)

Basically the only thing the kid didnt react to on both arms was cats and dust mites.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

jennabear Guest

My DS does not have a food allergy per se but he does have an allergy to certain red dyes. We had an inkling earlier but when he was given the pink liquid Amoxicillin he would bounce off the walls unlike anything I had ever seen. He does this with certain red candies, gum or anything with a particular red dye. We haven't figured out which one so we just try to avoid most.

LarsMal is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DS is allergic to dairy (milk protein) and egg. We found out the hard way about the dariy at 10 months when the ped. recommended I give him some yogurt to help with the antibiotics he was on. We were minutes away from a call to 911 if it wasn't for my neighbor and her Benedryl!

He was tested at 1 year for about 40 different food and environmental allergies. The only things he tested positive for were the dairy and egg.

It gives me hope that your DD grew out of her egg allergy at 23 months!

schuyler tested postive for eggs. he grew out of it by age 2. it was gastrointestinal, so not scary.

dylan tested postive for:
    milk
    eggs
    corn
    onion
    wheat

milk makes him vomit. so still not scary, just pitiful!! he is able to eat everything on the list as an ingredient. i bet he could eat the things straight now, we just haven't challenged him on them yet. i am holding off on the milk for longer, because vomiting is pretty awful for a little guy and he is thriving on soy milk.

he did have a violent outbreak of hives just over a year old. we never determined the cause. he has eaten everything he had that day/few days since then and had eaten everything before, as well. i think it must have been an insect. the dr said whatever it was, it WILL cause major respiratory issues the next time he is exposed. our epi pens just expired, so i guess we will get more, even though he has never had hives since.
    Liza has been hangin' around this board for six years.

My sons are 4 and 6. And they are very loud.

Joshua (age 3) is allergic to dairy, eggs, and peanuts. He hasn't outgrown anything yet. : (

He gets hives--luckily, no airway problems. But we carry and epi-pen jut in case.
    Lisa
    Mama to Jack (4/20/01)
    and Joshua (11/16/03)

ilovetivo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Anyone else want to vote, since the boards went down soon after I posted. Hmmm, hope it wasn't me.

DD vomited 3 hrs last night, but sporatically. So not sure if it was the new food we tried (Back to Nature Graham Sticks - dairy xcontam maybe?) or the flu. No fever, just cranky. She's now hungry (4 1/2 hrs after last episode) so can the flu go away that fast? Waiting for the allergist to call back.
    DD 7 - outgrew dairy allergy 6/13/11 - She had FPIES http://bit.ly/WhatIsFPIES

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

DD#1 trees, grasses (confirmed) and suspect (+ve skin test) peanuts & fish. diagnosed @ 27m. We thought we were all clear on the fish but are now doing an elimination of that and will re-try later this spring.

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

almostamom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

DS is allergic to peanuts and we're still testing for other foods. We carry the TwinJect (similar to EpiPen) everywhere. I am allergic to melons, avocados, and bananas. DH isn't allergic to a darn thing!

ETA: We just got the new RAST tests results this afternoon.

Class 5 - peanuts
    Class 2 - corn, soy, wheat, eggs, dairy

mommyoftwo Guest

I don't know if you have an answer yet, but Amelia actually has had a flu like that at least once so it's totally possible that it was just some virus. Just watch carefully if she eats the same thing again.

ETA: I finally got a chance to post on kidswithfoodallergies.org so you can look for it there.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast