Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Default RE: Food Allergies and Public Schools ??

Thank you for sharing that info. I'll spend some more time reading those links later when my kids are at school.

You're clearly a very passionate and caring mom.

ilovetivo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I put some good educational info in post #45. It might be too buried for people to see, and I don't want to repost it here. So here's the direct link to my post
    http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboar...de=full#443137

Random stuff follows:

Another possible cause for peanut in our country is that we in the US roast our peanuts first, thus making the more allergenic.

I also want to add that food allergens (that can actually cause reactions) show up basically everywhere. We parents not only have to look out for food, but also:
    Medications
    Baby wipes
    Toiletries (toothpaste, lotion, shampoo, make up, conditioner etc etc)
    Pet food
    Craft supplies

When we call companies, many don't tell us about cross contamination (same lines, same facility). So even if we "think" a food is safe, we still have to watch our kids like a hawk...without them thinking we are.

Allergic reactions can occur with in seconds, or within 2-3 hours of exposure.

There are many people allergic to other foods than the top 8. The next 2 most common are seeds (mustard, sesame, flax etc) and sulfites. Some countries label for those as well. Different countries have different top allergens. Any food can be a food allergy. Some kids are tube fed with special amino acid formulas because they can't eat anything...literally.

Let's not forget how these children feel. Imagine how you would feel, at your current age, thinking you might die at any moment. That any food could kill you. Any activity, anything you touch, anyone that touches or kisses you could result in a life threatening reaction from cross contamination. You can never be without your cell phone and life saving medication, not even for a minute. You just want to go out to eat with your family and friends, but can't without having a thorough discussion with the waitstaff, manager and chef (if you go at all). Now imagine you're 15 years old and you just want to be be cool, carefree and independent. Now imagine you're 10 and you just want to be like everyone else, and now your 5 and you just want to play. Those are fears and concerns children just should have to live with.

Here's 2 studies assessing children's quality of life with allergies (yes, FA's have a negative effect) : http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...t=AbstractPlus

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...t=AbstractPlus

ETA:

Here's some info on www.kidswithfoodallergies.org from an email I just got:

Our 10,000th member will join sometime today!
    500 new members join monthly.
    8,500 subscribe to our monthly e-newsletter.
    We now have a dozen support forums, including two dedicated to food and cooking.
    Members post 10,000 messages monthly seeking and offering support.
    Our Web site has 50,000 site visits monthly.
    We've provided 400 sponsored Family Memberships this year.
    Our searchable Safe Eats recipe database contains 800+ recipes, and more will be added in future months.
    Our volunteer team has grown to 35 members dedicating 1,200 volunteer hours monthly.
    Our resources section contains 70 food allergy articles and tips.
    We've exhibited within the past year at annual meetings of the American Academy of Pediatrics; American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology; American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology and Pennsylvania Association of Allergy and Asthma. On September 30th, we'll be exhibiting at the annual meeting of the American Dietetic Association in Philadelphia to spread the word about KFA to dietitians from all over the country.

DD 7 - outgrew dairy allergy 6/13/11 - She had FPIES http://bit.ly/WhatIsFPIES

You are right, the tiniest amount can cause a reaction. Even airborne it can cause a reaction for some. I wasn't trying to misinform. I was just trying to get a message/point across with the most basic of information for those that truly don't understand. My fear was in saying a speck of dust...well it would land of deaf ears..or in this case blind eyes. :)

We do not have a 504, but I looking into it and what the school policy is. The up side is that the prek teacher/dir has been more than supportive. Kudos to her!!

Ruth

Again, I thank you for your knowledge and support and will definitely head over to kids with food allergies message group. I signed up yesterday but haven't had a chance to browse.

One thing I wanted to add as far as cause is environmental. We are discovering so many environmental causes to cancer and other diseases, why not food allergies too. I think that in the past people were not exposed to some of the toxins that we have today. I don't think this is the sole cause. I think it's a combination of all you've listed. But I do think environment holds a key. Which sends me off on anothter topic..which is for another day..but making choices to be green. But that's a whole other thread.

Since you shard your story I thought I would share mine.

When DS was 2 he helped me make banana bread. I chopped walnuts on a cutting board and dumped them into the bowl. The board was clean with the exception of some fine nut dust. DS touched the board, rubbed his eye, and within minutes it was red and swollen shut. Half his face swelled. His eyes watered. He started couging and choking and mucus came up. In hindsight we should have gone to the ER. We called his pedi and gave him benadryl instead. It took some time for the reaction to subside.

There were several times before that when he would get hives or watery eyes that I thought..maybe food allergy. But I was told to wait to test him. In hindshight I should have trusted my gut. So after that experience we took him for testing..which as anyone knows is not fun.

He tested positive for peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, soy, sesame, any animal with fur, dust mites, and he has seasonal allergies as well. He is high risk for developing asthma. He is showing no sign of outgrowing any of his allergies. He will never be able to have or hold a pet. We have more epi pens than I can count. Our house is stocked with benadryl.

We just moved to the country and found several hickory nut trees on our property. Now we have to figure out what to do. There are nuts all over the yard.

Just like the above poster, I have to worry about everywhere we go and everything we eat. And now, I have to worry about parks that might have nut trees. We have to worry about the beach b/c I saw peanut shells in the sand once. We recently went to Santa's Village (a NH theme park)..my son touched the trash can briefly and had a reaction.

So this is what it's like for me. And you know what? I'm still thankful that I have two beautiful healthy and happy sons. It's hard, but I know it could be far worse. And I'm more empathetic towards others and their own situations after having to deal with this.

Ruth

ilovetivo is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I totally know you weren't trying to misinform. I was just trying to help and expanding on the info (or whatever the saying is). :) I hope you don't/didn't mind.
    DD 7 - outgrew dairy allergy 6/13/11 - She had FPIES http://bit.ly/WhatIsFPIES

Ohhh Noooo!! Sorry! I wasn't upset. I appreciate all of your comments and expanding upon what I wrote. I'm learning new things. And honestly, love even healthy debate.

I don't know why, but when I type people always think I'm mad. For some reason I come across...well...how I come across. It's not intentional. I hate that you can't read tone in emails withough putting tons of :) And even then people wonder if you are being sarcastic. ;)

Ruth

"Keep that in mind, but I was a bit peeved that the whole class needs to deal with one child's issues. Some kids live on PB and J. At this age, the child with the allergies should know enough to stay away from the obvious allergens, and should have an epi pen kept at school just in case."

My daughter is 3 1/2 and allergic to peanuts. She absolutely knows to steer clear of peanuts. BUT, she cannot control other children getting peanut butter on their hands or on tables and putting her at risk. My niece ate a peanut butter sandwich and afterwards played with Lauren. She touched Lauren's face and soon after Lauren had red streaks around her mouth. Also, not every food item containing peanuts is obvious so the parents really need to be diligent about not bringing peanut containing items.

My daughter is in pre-school and has an epi-pen at school. I sure hope other parents stick to the rules and don't bring in peanuts/peanut butter and put my daughter at risk.

I apologize - I've not read this entire thread. But, I work in a law firm and want to give that perspective.

I would not sign the letter, either. To me, it is tantamount to agreeing to be liable if for some reason I inadvertently sent something with an allergen in it. I would do my best to comply, but no way would I guarantee that I would comply. How do I know that you wouldn't sue me for not complying based on the letter that I signed if your son does have a reaction?

DD's preschool does not allow homemade items to be brought into the classroom. Any snacks to be shared must be prepackaged and sealed. I have no way of knowing what the grocery store uses in their mixture to make cookies, cakes, etc.

Again, I would gladly do what I can to not send offending products. But I certainly won't legally guarantee that I will.

I understand. I am not opposed to someone not wanting to sign due to legal reasons. What I am opposed to is her reason of it not being fair to her children who will be deprived for allergy reasons. She never stated legal reasons.

The letter did not come from me, it came from the school, and was only asking that people sign to say they received the letter and read it. (No liability there.) It in no way said they needed to sign to say they wouldn't bring items in. Though of course, knowing a child has life threatening food allergies you would hope someone wouldn't bring food in. Snacks are provided by the school.

It seems to me that the school stumbled a bit in dealing with this issue on your son's behalf. The animosity from the other parents is out of line and unfairly directed at your family when the letter came from the school. I'm saying this though as someone who would be hesitant to sign the memo as it's been described. If having people sign it isn't even going to be enforced, then what was the point beyond creating a you vs. them environment? I never realized what an important skill diplomacy would be for a school nurse!

I've been reading some of the links posted, and it seems like outright bans on ingredients are not the recommended approach in most situations beyond peanuts. I think you said previously that the school pushed for the ban on egg products even though you had decided it was ok. It almost seems like the easy way out on their part, rather than enforcing more nuanced rules like no-sharing policies and strict hand and table washing after all food. These approaches would take the focus off of your son, and would protect other possibly allergic kids as well.

But I haven't managed to read ALL the many links posted :) so maybe that's not a reasonable interpretation of the issue either?

Good luck!
    -M

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6