My daughter is just two and we haven't had any allergy issues come up and I'm really grateful for that. I've avoided nuts to try and prevent them. It would be naive of me to say I can understand how hard this is for you. It must be difficult, to say the least. I have no problem with your son's need for a safe a learning environment and to not be exposed to items that are life-threatening to him. Fair enough. He's entitled to the accommodations so he should have them,absolutely. The argument "It is not fair that our children have to be deprived for other allergy issues" is silly in light of the seriousness of your son's allergies but I've got to say, though, the approach you have described would annoy me as well.

You live with these allergies every day. Many people do not. You state that your son has multiple food allergies. How long is the list of forbidden food? Is it possible that the list encompasses a variety of foods that might make it more difficult for people to pack a lunch? I certainly don't think a preference for peanut butter sandwiches supercedes your son's right to be healthy; but what seems to be missing is an acknowledgement on your part that these restrictions might range from a minor inconvenience to a real difficulty for the other parents who are trying to feed their kids the way they see fit. Yes, I know that its just few meals in the scheme of things but people are being asked to alter their lifestyle for your son. Being presented with a list of things and asked to sign that they understand suggests that I am now liable if something sneaks through the door. I wouldn't sign it either unless you signed a waiver absolving me of responsibility for any allergic reaction your son might have. I think that's where the "We'll try to comply" statement is coming from. I would try really hard but I'm not willing to be held responsible for an honest mistake. I'm guessing you were trying to reach out to the other parents in the classroom with your note. However, I understand what anaphylaxis is and I understand what fatal means. I don't need any further "education". It's a little insulting. Sending along a list of recipes is a bit presumptuous. Not only do I now have to keep some one else's allergies in mind when I'm grocery shopping, but now I should consider making their favorites? That's probably not what you meant but I can easily see that interpretation.

Nobody wants to see your son get sick. Your family has already made the necessary adjustments to keep him healthy. You should give others a chance to make them too without assuming they don't care about his welfare. I hope it works out well for the little guy.