purpleeyes is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default opinions on canned veggies?

At my parents tonight, we had canned string beans. DS *loved* them, asked for 2nds and 3rds! He never does that! Now, he has had fresh and frozen string beans in the past, he does like them, but not as much as these and usually we have to give him ketchup to make it work.
    I know that fresh/frozen are better then canned, but by how much? Would this be an ok option if we don't overdo it and just stick to the canned string beans? I would love to add another veggie to our repertoire, esp. a green one since currently, we rotate through squash, sweet potatos, carrots and broccoli (with cheese!)
    Thoughts?

Thanks!!
    B

DS
    DD

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I worry about the added salt. If you can get them without added salt, then I don't think they are that bad. Personally I think they taste bad, but if he likes them then go for it.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

My understanding is that some of the valuable nutrients are lost in the process of canning vegetables so I don't think there is much to gain by giving him the canned green beans if he'll eat the frozen/fresh ones even if he'd eat some more if they were canned. If you do choose to use the canned ones, I read that you can rinse the veggies for 2 minutes to remove some of the salt.

We've done a little of both- DD eats the canned a little easier. We buy the no-salt ones, and try to limt them, but I figure a canned veggie is probably a lot better than many other things she coudl ask for.