Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    pearl is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Default Ameda storage bottles

Hi! With my first child I used the Ameda PY pump and the small storage containers by Ameda. I liked being able to pump, store and bottle feed using the same bottles and I had planned on continuing this pattern for our next baby. The only problem is, I do not know if the Ameda bottles are a "safe" plastic.

does anyone know if it is still safe to use the Ameda bottle or should I invest in Evenflo glass bottles or another plastic bottle brand like Medela?

Thanks for your help.

Default RE: Ameda storage bottles

Unfortunately, the Ameda bottles are not a "safe" plastic. If you are concerned, I would invest in other types of bottles.

FWIW, I believe I read somewhere (here, I think) that the Ameda PY horns are not made of safe plastic, either. I suppose this is less of an issue since the baby is not drinking directly from them as they are with bottles, but the horns still need to be sanitized (which means running them through hot water) and scrubbed (which means introducing scratches and the like).
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

I just wanted to let you know that I've had no problem recently finding non-polycarbonate (polypropylene) bottles, complete with nipples, discs, and covers, at places like Wal-mart and Target recently. Note that any standard (NOT wide-neck) size bottle will fit on the Ameda horns. Look for the colored bottles and then squeeze to see if rigid or not (you want the flexible ones).

Cynthia

Kindra178 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If the Ameda horns are not made of safe plastic, what do you recommend doing?

I believe I read something about attaching the Ameda Areola Stimulators to the horns to solve this problem, but don't quote me on that. If you are truly concerned about the BPA issue, I would get a Medela pump, which uses all BPA-free parts. I'm actually contemplating doing that if I ever have a second baby. It sucks, because I already have an Ameda PY, but the BPA issue worries me. I suppose it comes down to each individual's comfort level.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

I really wouldn't worry about the horns. If it does turn out that the polycarbonate leaches bisphenol-A, then time in contact really will be the driving variable. The amount of time the milk touches the plastic in the horns is minimal (I'm convinced the milk actually touches the valve, which isn't PC, more, but even if not we are talking seconds), particularly compared to the time in contact with the bottle plastic (hours, days, or longer).

I've never used breast shields, but don't those just touch your breast? I'm thinking that wouldn't actually touch where the milk runs down, but I have no experience with it.

Cynthia

An awesome bottle option is the 5oz clear Gerber bottles that are about $3 for 3 at places like Target or BRU. They have green, blue, and purple collars. They don't come with sealing discs, which sucks, but you can pick up Evenflo discs at BRU.

These bottles are the same plastic as the Medela ones, fit on your pump, and are super cheap. I pump into these, Medelas, and Ross milk storage bottles, and my DH just feeds straight from them with a Nuk nipple.

Tarah
    Mama to the Forrest Creature 3/04 and Baby Ber 4/07
    "All true wealth is biological" Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

Aishe is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Unless they've changed, the sealing discs from the Ameda bottles fit on the Gerber bottles.

pearl is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Thanks, everyone, for your advice. This helps me a lot.

Hi, I have the Ameda PY and have used and will be using again with my newborn the Milk Mate storage system. You can pump, store and feed from same bottle, and they are safe plastic. Here the website http://www.mothersmilkmate.com/

HTH,
    Gaby

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast