denna is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Mods Question--- I thought X-Posting was 'allowed'?

I have seen a lot of this lately and specifically today I saw a post by JennyA (I think?) that was moved to Nurseries (regarding a bed) after she said X Post and that she was getting no response in Nursery.

Is this not 'allowed' any more?!
    Denna

Mama to THREE adorable kiddos

Mommy's KINDERGARTENER DS1 born Apr/2006 happily harnessed in his Frontier
    Mommy's belly baby DD born Jul/2009 content in her Boulevard
    Mommy's little hedgehog DS2 born May/2011; riding unhappily in his Chaperone

Default RE: Mods Question--- I thought X-Posting was 'allowed'?

This can tend to be a judgement call. In some cases X-posting is appropriate (e.g. a great deal on car seats might be posted to both Bargain Alert and Car Seats to ensure that no one misses the deal). An issue with food allergies causing a diaper rash might wind up in both Feeding and Butts. However, it is not appropriate to X-Post to the wrong forum simply because the user is unhappy with the traffic/and or responses she is receiving in the correct forum.

This is what a mod said in regards to cross posting (from a post in June):

"With regard to cross posts, we ask that posters *please* try posting in the appropriate forum FIRST. If you're not getting a bunch of responses, THEN cross post to the Lounge."

Alicia
    Mama to four amazing children.

We've always discouraged cross posting. The Fields prefer that threads are kept in the appropriate Forums, and have said as much.

So, **please**, post accordingly. The Forum is specifically for items that 'don't fit' anywhere else. If there is a more apropos place for a thread, it will be moved there.

Thanks

Marisa, Hilary and Erica

Thank you for the quote Alicia, this is the exact response I was asking about.
    Denna

Marisa,

This is why I questioned all of the moves I have been seeing:

Copied from buddyleebaby's response (quote from Mods)

"With regard to cross posts, we ask that posters *please* try posting in the appropriate forum FIRST. If you're not getting a bunch of responses, THEN cross post to the Lounge."

So if these people were not getting responses. From the Mods mouth's themselves there X Post should not be moved. If I am intreperting both of your responses correctly.

I was just curious why I was seeing all of the moves when the person clearly needed help.

Thanks for your response,
    Denna

The problem is that many people are automatically x/p without first doing it in the appropriate forum. And when the Fields ask that people *wait* to see if they get a response before x/p, they mean a day or so - not hours.

Also, the majority of the moves aren't x/p, but stuff that belongs in a different forum to begin with.

-m
    Wife to Jonathan
    Mom to Sophia 12/02 and Amelia 12/04

Thanks Marisa for your response. I know that there are a ton of posts that are placed in the wrong forums, however my question and OP was only referring to X Post and the one I specifically referred had X Posted it in Nurseries and had waited w/ no response.

I was only questioning b/c of what Mods had stated earlier saying X Posts were permitted, etc. I understand what the Lounge is for and I understand waiting. I have just noticed quite a few X Posts being moved (when the poster explained they were posting in the lounge for lack of response) and yet someone moved it again. I just wasnt sure if X Posting was no longer permitted or what.

Thanks,
    Denna

when it gets Xposted like that, though....i usually follow the link to the correct forum...cause the topic still shows up in the lounge and then i'll check out the OP to see if i can help. it kinda accomplishes the job without taking up space in the lounge, as it were.
    Megs
    DD1 (13-ish)
    DS (11-ish)
    DD2 (5-ish)