Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    caheinz is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: MooseWOOD cookbook help - your fav recipes from this cookbook

I lived in Ithaca for many years.... the restaurant is a bit hit or miss (some things are wonderful, others just okay, so the hits are more positive than the misses negative), but they do save the "hits" for the cookbooks. That said, the original cookbook and the Enchanted Broccoli Forest are both by Mollie Katzen, a former collective member. (The restaurant is owned and managed by a collective (the "Moosewood Collective"), which changes somewhat over time.) All of the more recent cookbooks (they're up to 8 or 10 now) are by the collective.

I think we have everything but the Kitchen Garden one. We almost never use the "original" two -- the recipes are just too involved. That said, the lasagna and the moussaka are both wonderful.

Our favorites tend to be Cooks at Home (30 min recipes), Low Fat Favorites, and the new one, Simple Suppers (more quick recipes). Sundays is all ethnic recipes, and are often involved and time-consuming. Cooks for a Crowd is for 20 or more people (we gave our caterer a recipe from this one for our wedding). Desserts is good, but focused. Daily Special is all soups and salads -- some good stuff in there. New Recipes from is the first collective book, and has some goodies in there. Celebrates and New Classics are newer, I think we've gotten more out of New Classics, but I don't have strong memories of either. (That said, we used New Classics a lot when DS was diagnosed with an egg allergy, and our "standard" eggless pancakes are from that one. So, maybe I should give it a higher rating!)

Any of the collective ones that sound appealing will probably be a better fit than the original!
    mommy to three boys: A, 3/04
    and identical twins B and D, arrived 9/08

Default RE: Moosehead cookbook help - your fav recipes from this cookbook

New recipes has a great chocolate mousse recipe.
    I like the pasta with a no cook tomato sauce in the summer when tomatoes and basil are plentiful.
    muffin recipe is good, as is the rice and beans with mango salsa.
    I have all the cookbooks and living close to Ithaca I like to stop in everyonce in a while (there are tons of other good restaurants around there).
    Christine

mama to A (7/03)

JulieL is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks for the tips! I think I'll look some of those up! :) And yes this cookbook is WAY involved. I have 2 other vegetarian cookbooks and neither are so process lengthy.

I've made a few recipes from Moosewood Cooks at Home. The vegetarian chili (I think it's called Black, Gold, Green, Red Chili) is terrific, as are the buttermilk oatmeal muffins (I lived off these during the first few postpartum weeks). I made a pizza, I think it was spinach and feta, which was tasty, but too strongly flavored for dinner. This book also inspired me to make vegetarian broth ("stock"), which I like to use instead of water in other recipes (like crockpot stuff).
    Jen, mom to
    Elliot (8/2/05) and
    Lexi (5/19/07)
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." --John Lennon

Default RE: Moosehead cookbook help - your fav recipes from this cookbook

We like the Hungarian mushroom soup and the ratatouille. I made a tomtao curry dish one time that was good, too. There is also a great mushroom apps recipe the name of which is escaping me, but it's in with the section about making a big appetizer platter (whose name is also escaping me, can you tell we are not sleeping much these days!). But anyways, it's basically marinated mushroom and always a big hit at parties.

Laurel
    WOHM to Jack, 6/4/02
    Baby Madeline 12/14/04

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2