Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    JulieL is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Moosehead cookbook help - your fav recipes from this cookbook

So... I've tried to cook from this cookbook on a couple recipes - as everyone raves that this is THE vegetarian cookbook to get. I really haven't had great sucess. I would call myself a capable cook but definately not an expert. Well I was wondering what recipes from this cookbook have worked for folks. It's so big that I must be hitting the least popular recipes, or can't pull it together ;), anyway thanks :)

juliasmom05 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Moosehead cookbook help - your fav recipes from this cookbook

No help with the recipes, but just wanted to let you know that the Moosewood Restaurant is usually hit or miss, usually miss, so maybe the cookbook is the same way.

Marci

Mom to Julia 4/05

Hi Julie! :)

Sorry, I can't help you with the Moosehead cookbook because I don't have it. I was going to suggest you check out Deborah Madison's 'Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone' on Amazon and reading the review by 'B. Marold'. I tend to agree with him a lot. Anyway, it's a great review and he mentions some other great books in the field but I really think this one is best.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cus...views.start=21

TIP: I have bought so many darn books that I have later regretted. I now go to my local library and borrow them first to see if they are book shelf worthy. I never buy a book I feel the need to read only once...I can check them out for 3 weeks, and extend it over the internet and even look at the website to browse a list of cookbooks in other parts of my town. Some of them I do need to search for a bit but most of them are readily near by. I have a wonderful but small collection now...I would have made so many mistakes if I hadn't! I got this idea from someone here who likes to read them like novels and then photocopy the recipes they want to try. Just a thought. :)

HTH
    Rebekah

I've had this cookbook since college (10+ years--yikes!) and I've made quite a few of the recipes. I usually seem to need to tweak the recipes--so no, you're not crazy! The soups and salads always seem to come out great, but some of the other things--desserts and baked casseroles most notably--require some creativity to make them work! Sometimes it is the consistency--too thick or thin, other times it's just bland, or one flavor sticks out too much. Which ones have you tried--I might be able to tell you how I doctored it...

Ohhhh I remember when that came out and thinking it looked good. I might see if I can check that out! Thanks!

Glad it's not just me! I cooked a recipe last weekened called Zuchinni Encrusted Pizza. SO I looked at the items needed, and didn't look at the instructions. Made the crust up, then saw it said form it in a pie pan??? I thought that can't be right it's ccaaallleeed pizza. So I flattened it out on a pizza pan, it can out kinda like a thin cracker, something you could use for an appetizer but NOT a pizza. Sigh, I went out and got a Boboli pizza crust to make a real pizza for my men.

It's been kinda like that with other recipes, not exactly what is sounded like or tasted not quite what it seemed it would.

eta: I did an onion soup recipe and it ended up like onion water, and powerful! Of course that was the first time I made an onion soup so it could have been some me as well.

I second both of Rebekah's suggestions! I definitely like Deborah Madison's cookbook better. And taking a cookbook test drive with the library's books works great. You have to return them so it forces you to make a few recipes.

BTW, for vegetable recipes, I like a lot of recipes from the various Mark Bittman cookbooks. His cookbooks are not vegetarian but contain many veggie only recipes. There was a shredded beet pancake that I remember trying out and liking a lot as well a some sort of fritter made with chick pea flour.

jennifer_r is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

D. Madison's cookbook is one of my FAVORITES - and I have alot of cookbooks. I also do a cookbook "test drive" with the library.

Jennifer

Mom to:
    Christopher 12/29/89
    Adelaide 8/23/04
    Bronwyn 11/9/05

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_rosequartz_3m.gif[/img][/url]

jbowman is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I think the lasagna is great!

This probably doesn't help... but I have the Moosewood Book of Desserts and the Texas Italian Cream Cake is perfect! Just like the one I crave from 'The Upper Crust' here in Austin.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast