Default Protein ideas for breakfast?

I recently read Joyce Meyer's new healthy eating/living book, and I am now trying to improve my eating habits.

I hate breakfast, but I'm trying to eat something everyday. I have the most trouble with getting some healthy protein into it.

I'm trying to stay away from bacon, sausage, ham, etc. I can eat an egg once a week, but that's about all I can stand.

What/how do you get healthy protein into your breakfast each day?

TIA for your help.

R.W.
    SC

kimbe is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Protein ideas for breakfast?

I know how you feel. I don't do bacon, sausage, ham or eggs either.

You could try peanut butter on toast or on pieces of apple. Walnuts or other nuts on oatmeal. Yogurt, milk and cheese would work too.

HTH!
    Kim

Would a fritatta be more palatable than just eating eggs? They're easy to make, and you can put all kinds of delicious things into them - potatoes, veggies, cheese. The kind I make uses 4 egg whites and 3 whole eggs (makes 4-6 servings), so it's very high in protein. ETA: You can make it ahead and just reheat a serving in the morning.

PB on whole wheat toast is also great for protein. Cheese is good for protein, too.

-Ry,
    mom to Emma, stillborn 11/04/04
    and Max, 01/05/06

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/32812.gif
    http://b1.lilypie.com/aKGqm5/.png[/img]

Lynnie is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have added protein mix to oatmeal.

I would make the steel cut kind, and then at the end make it a little watery, and then add the protein poweder in, plus maybe some almonds or raisins or something. It wasn't bad. If you go to the website for the zone (probably zone.com but I have no idea) they have a bunch of ways to make it easier to prepare the oatmeal - like put it in the oven overnight and all this wierd stuff that I never got around to trying, but may now since i too would like to improve my eating habits.

Also, kashi frozen waffles have protein in them. I think they are go lean waffles. Don't know the nutritional values, but do know they have protein. And some cereals have it too. (speaking from a mom who has to get out of the house with two kids at 7:15, so time for breakfast is extremely limited)

AmyZ is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Do you mind French toast? It is a good way to eat eggs and you can use healthy whole wheat bread - adding some cinnamon and dash of vanilla to eggs and some milk.
    When my DD goes on a meat strike - which is most of the time, I try to give her french toast several days a week.

Amy Z

"Ma!" to Eliana 2/04 - She's 2!
    http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

Default Anyone know which cereals have protein?

I had no idea that some of the cereals contain protein! That's great to know. Thanks for sharing. :)

Anyone know of any "good tasting" ones that have protein?

TIA
    R.W.

Default RE: Anyone know which cereals have protein?

I eat the Speacial K "protein plus" kind (used to be called Carb Control) over non-fat yougert. Not as stick-to-your-ribs as oatmeal or eggs, but good for variation!

Kashi Go Lean Crunch is pretty decent, especially if you add some fresh berries or mango.

Kashi Mighty Bites is for kids, but not bad.

Lynnie is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I sometimes mix the two kashi kinds, because one of them to me is too sweet (and I am a sugar junkie) and the other is a bit like cardboard sometimes. But mixed, they are just right.

I also just bought a weight watchers one. Will let you know if its any good - it is cinamon crunch or something, but I just saw that it had protein.

If you hate traditional breakfast items, just eat whatever you would for lunch/dinner. I enjoy eggs, and oatmeal w/flax seed, walnuts & blueberries, but I often have a breakfast of fat-free refried beans w/plain yogurt.

What about yogurt or cheese?