LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Any stir fry tips for broccoli?

I want to steam or stir fry broccoli florets tonight. I love crisp bright green broccoli that i'd get w/ chinese food.

Any tips?

Laura
    mom to William

LKibala @ optonline.net
    [img]http://b4.lilypie.com/vEOmm4.png

Use a Mac? Interested in learning more about them? Join us!
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BBB-MacUsers/

omgrown Guest

Default RE: Any stir fry tips for broccoli?

Here's what I usually do. I have a steamer insert for my medium saucepan (All Clad). I put a little water, maybe 1/2-1 cup in the pan. Bring the water to a boil, put the steamer insert in with the broccoli and turn the heat completely off. I cover it and let the broccoli steam for not very long, 2-3 minutes maybe? Its not an exact science for me, but I usually do it as the very last thing when everything else is ready to go. I check it to make sure I haven't gone too far, but really, it doesn't take long at all, so if its your first time, check it periodically to keep the crisp-ness. You'll see that it'll look bright, bright green when its done.
    I love broccoli, its my absolute favorite, esp steamed!

omgrown Guest

I should have also mentioned that I do this with fresh broccoli. I don't usually buy frozen, and when I do, it never comes out as nice.
    Another broccoli tip, for fresh broccoli,
    The stalks are actually quite tasty, if you peel the outer layer off and slice them like a carrot and throw them in with the florets to steam, they're actually delicious.
    Or you can give them to your dogs as "broccoli bones" like we do :-)

I do something that my mom taught me, but I've read is called pan steaming maybe? I turn my stove up to high, put a bit of oil in my regular stir fry pan (1/2 to 1 T) with minced garlic, throw in the cut broccoli, and stir it around until it's coated with oil. Then I add 1-2T of water, and cover the pan. I let the water steam the broccoli in the pan, and allow the water to evaporate. It takes maybe 5 minutes? Like PP, it's not an exact science.

Alternatively, our family also really enjoy roasted broccoli - it gives it slightly different flavor that is very interesting. Plus, it's easy to throw the broccoli and some oil on a baking sheet when I already have the oven going for meatloaf or a chicken or whatever.

Caroline
    mommy to Kaylin 6/5/04

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/bunbunadb20040605_-9_Kaylin+is+now.png[/img][/url]

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

My doggie likes broccoli bones too :)
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

This is the funniest thing I've ever read! I wonder if I can get DD to eat the stems by calling them broccoli bones, too! :) It's worth a shot!

Caroline
    mommy to Kaylin 6/5/04

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/bunbunadb20040605_-9_Kaylin+is+now.png[/img][/url]

omgrown Guest

Yeah, I don't remember how the broccoli bones thing started, but its a huge hit with the doggies in my house. As soon as they see the broccoli come out, they hover until they get their "bones". The very gingerly take them in their mouths and happily chomp away! It is pretty darn funny.
    BTW, pizza crusts are called "pizza bones" in our house too :-)

kelly ann is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Laura-

I know I am a couple days late here, but I love this recipe for broccoli marinara from allrecipes.com

Broccoli Marinara

2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with balsamic vinegar, basil and olive oil
    1 pound broccoli florets
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    salt and pepper to taste

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, and cook for a few minutes, stirring constantly. Pour in the tomatoes with their juices, and simmer until the liquid has reduced by about 1/2. Place the broccoli on top of the tomatoes, and season with a little salt and pepper. Cover, and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes, or until the broccoli is tender. Do not over cook the broccoli, it should be a vibrant green. Pour into a serving dish, and toss to blend with the sauce before serving.

When I stir-fry broccoli, usually with a bunch of other veggies, almost right after I drop them in the hot skillet I put in a light spoonful of water (not too much, maybe tablespoon tops). It makes insta-steam in the skillet and the broccoli greens right up. It then doesn't take as long to stir-fry, which keeps more nutrients.

LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Thanks!

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I ended up stir frying it in a litle bit of oil w/ garlic - YUM! I still have a bunch of florets that i'll cook again tonight and then that's it for the bag!

Laura
    mom to William

LKibala @ optonline.net
    [img]http://b4.lilypie.com/vEOmm4.png

Use a Mac? Interested in learning more about them? Join us!
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BBB-MacUsers/