Default Suggestions for Picnic Lunch Menu for 1st B-day Party Needed!

My son just turned one and we're throwing him a Birthday Picnic in Central Park. I still don't have a theme but I was thinking a "little" party and serving box drinks and mini sandwiches and other kid friendly food but I think I can do better. Not to mention I want to serve food that won't go bad in the 2 hours or so we'll be outside (ice cream cake is out!) And did I mention that we're probably going to host 30-40 people?

Help! Any suggestions (food or favors) would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

kimbe is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default RE: Suggestions for Picnic Lunch Menu for 1st B-day Party Needed!

That sounds like a fun idea! That is a lot of people!!!!

For favors --- how about bug shaped and decorated cut out cookies! Or, since it is picnic, a brown lunch bag filled with bubbles, and other kid friendly outdoor things.

Hmm for food, tough one! You could do fruit and/or veggie tray, fruit salad or a veggie salad, cupcakes, tortilla chips and salsa, veggie pita sandwiches, bruschetta bread.

If I think of any more, I'll add them.

HTH! I hope that you will update and let us know how it was and what you did! Such a great idea!!

Kim

for my dd's 5th b-day party she wanted a flower/garden theme. We gave these out for favors and included crayons and flower seeds...
    http://www.orientaltrading.com/otcwe...ts&N=0&Ntk=all

I made this cake, which was a big hit...
    http://www.marthastewart.com/page.jh...&id=recipe2094

I also put some fresh cut flowers on the different food platters I had. We had the party inside our house, in the middle of February, so we had to pretend we were in a garden!!

What about ordering a tray of tea sandwiches from a deli or a tray of fried chicken and/or chicken fingers for the kids. Also some different cheese and crackers and fresh fruit always are nice at a picnic.

HTH!
    Mary
    dd#1 2/01
    dd#2 12/03

I love the bug cookie idea but it's too labor intensive. I need to buy everything and cheap - my guest list is pushing 50!

I was also thinking brown bags for favors! I was going to put in sippy cups for the babies and little sandwhiches and raisins.

I was going to decorate the area with lawn ornaments and frisbees, bubbles and other outdoor toys for kids to take home.

Share your ideas ladies! Thanks!

We also had a party for 40 people in the park and we made pulled pork sandwiches. It's really easy. Just make a huge pot of it and buy a bunch of hamburger buns. No condiments needed! And it doesn't have to be served piping hot,...lukewarm is still very tasty. It's a very filling and easy meal, but fancier than sandwiches. We also ordered a tray of chow mein noodles (kids love them!). Pizza is also a safe bet,...it won't go bad. HTH!
    JP

How far are you going to have to carry everything? Are you around the corner or are you going to have to lug everything on the subway?
    Alicia
    Mama to four amazing children.

I live on Central Park West so no subway needed. We'll load up a wagon and cross the street.