Default What do you use for food storage?

I am trying to get away from plastic and I am wondering what you use for food storage....specifically from freezer to microwave? I cook sauce and meatballs, brisket, etc. and like to store some in the freezer to later defrost in the microwave.

I saw that corningware can go in the freezer and the microwave, but was wondering if there is anything safe out there that is a little less bulky/heavy?

TIA,

Gina

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default RE: What do you use for food storage?

We store in the freezer in plastic containers or Ziploc bags. I pop them out of the container to defrost though.
    Kris

holliam Guest

We got a bunch of glass containers from Target in all different sizes. We don't use any plastic for freezing/cooking.

Holli

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Lots of pyrex, and i'll never go back LOL.

The cost upfront is substantial, but now all of my containers fit neatly in the cabinet (no random shapes...I have small and medium rectangular ones, so they stack neatly inside one another, and then bigger ones like 9x13 size or so. No mismatched lids, etc.

Way easier for us. We stocked up with some Linens and Things coupons last year, but they've since changed the shape they carry at my local stores so I've been forced to pay more elsewhere. Kohls, Target, etc. carry the size we use most.

You can also find "refrigerator glass" in the crate and barrel catalog sometimes. Heavy but nice :)
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

HMMM....from responses so far, there really is nothing that can go directly from the freezer into the microwave, except maybe the corningware....I guess I may have to stop being lazy and slightly defrost/remove my frozen meals from one container and then heat in another.

Thanks all,

Gina

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Pyrex can. I personally wouldn't microwave w/ the plastic lid, but the container itself can go from frezer to microwave.

The "updated" pyrex I saw at Linens and Things had "vents" on the lid so you could microwave with the lid if you were so inclcined.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

Thanks so much...I've confirmed that the pyrex can go directly from freezer to microwave. I appreciate the suggestion!

Gina

Another Pyrex vote here. If you have a Pflatzgraff outlet nearby, they sell Pyrex in a ton of sizes for storage and they are pretty inexpensive.