Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    bee is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Default What is a healthy dip to serve to serve with apples? No peanut butter.

I have to take sliced apples to my sons class next week and want to make a dip to serve with it. I know about the marshmellow and cream cheese dip, however I was trying to find something a little more healthy. No peanut butter because I'm unsure about allergies.

Anything with yougart?

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default RE: What is a healthy dip to serve to serve with apples? No peanut butter.

They always did honey at my son's school. I'd only do that if they were over 2yo.

How about something with cream cheese? I found one that calls for 8oz cream cheese, 1/2c brown sugar and 1T vanilla- sprinkle some raisins in too. Not exactly health food but they probably won't be eating all that much. :)

Family Fun has this one with yogurt:
    1/2c plain yogurt, 1/4t cinnamon, 1/4t vanilla

Those both sound good to me and as a mom I would be ok with my child eating any of those at school.

I wanted to suggest Honey Crisp Apples. You can only get them a few months of the year and they are awesome. Even better is they don't brown! So, you can prepare ahead of time and you don't have to worry about putting lemon on them or anything.

Beth

Default RE: What is a healthy dip to serve to serve with apples? No peanut butter.

I posted a similar question when I was pregnant and couldn't eat peanut butter b/c of risk of exposing the baby to a peanut allergy (since it runs in our family) but wanted to finish off a bag of apples. The ladies came up with great ideas:

Whipped cream cheese
    hummus
    caramel dip
    dark chocolate sauce-less sugar, more antioxidants
    cheddar cheese slices
    mozzarella string cheese
    vanilla pudding
    banana syrup
    sugar-free butterscotch sauce

alternately
    soy nut butter
    almond/cashew nut butter

trentsmom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Here's a recipe I've made a few times. It calls for sour cream, but I'm sure you could sub in yogurt.

1 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup butter
    1 cup sour cream
    1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Melt the butter and brown sugar. Whip in the sour cream and vanilla. Serve warm, or let cool in the fridge.

And I second the suggestion for Honey Crisp apples. Mmmmm! But I don't know if kids will go for the slight tartness.
    DS1 11/03
    DS2 5/09

bee is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Are the honey crisp apples sold in a bag like chips? I've never heard of them. They sound yummy!
    Thanks for the recipes!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Nope, honey crisps are just a breed of apple like Gala, Macintosh or Fuji...just even better. :) I don't know if they are available nationwide but I bet they are. Just look with the other apples.

Beth

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

How about just vanilla yogurt? It is a little sweeter than plain, but for just a dip wouldn't be too bad. That is what comes with the fruit and walnut salad at McDonald's and I find it very tasty. :-)
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

trentsmom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Honey Crisp apples come out early in the season. I usually buy them at the farmer's market. The first ones I saw were at the end of August. I went to a pick-your-own orchard, and they had already picked all the Honey Crisp and kept them in cold storage so that the customers could buy them when the rest of the apples were ready to be picked.

I have lots of Honey Crisp in my fridge. If you live near me, I'll give you some to try!
    DS1 11/03
    DS2 5/09