Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Thanksgiving - Grilled Turkey on gas grill?

This year, it has finally happened. My mother is officially passing the Thanksgiving torch to me. I have a dining room set with leaves(finally!) and real china so I guess that makes me a real grown-up, huh? Since this is my first year I am already thinking about this so I can buy some things (like the turkey baster, thermometer, and enough folding chairs) in advance.
    I am serioulsy thinking about grilling the turkey. Everyone I know who has one this way just raves and raves about doing it this way (ok, not as much as deep frying, but I would most certainly blow up my house so not an option). We have a gas grill. I haven't looked too closely, but I'm assuming the top rack comes out. How do you all do this? Pan - no pan, beer can, rotisserie - all have been suggested on the websites I have found. It seems this is a faster method than the oven, so about how long per pound? I have nighmares of a burnt turkey and having to quickly grill some frozen chicken breasts....Help! Thanks.
    Alaina
    Alex Feb '03

ETA
    Oops- I'll bet this gets moved - I totally forgot about the cooking forums - sorry mods!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default RE: Thanksgiving - Grilled Turkey on gas grill?

Skip the turkey baster. Opening and closing the oven to baste the turkey isn't a great idea. However, if you *brine* your turkey overnight before hand you won't even have to worry! We have been brining our turkey for the past 4-5 years and it makes it so moist and flavorful! :)

This is the method and recipe we use, it is from the Food TV show Good Eats. (check the Food TV website to see when they will be playing their full week of Thanksgiving shows! It's usually a week or 2 before turkey day so you have time to get ideas).

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/cda/...L-PAGE,00.html

We've never grilled a turkey so I was really just chiming in with some unsolicited advice. :)

Oh, since I already have you I'll throw out one more. We have been hosting Thanksgiving for the past 4 years and I decided this year I am going to write out a list of helpful things people can do since everyone asks but I can't always come up with things at the moment. Actually, I am taking it a step further since it is just going to be close family and I'm going to have everyone pull a job out of the hat. :) My 22yo BIL and 18yo SIL never offer to help but if you ask them to do things they'll do them. Every little bit helps. Someone in charge of drinks, snacks, clearing the table...

Have fun!!

Beth

So funny, I was just looking up brining recipies. Brining is the plan - thank goodness we are getting a new fridge and will have the second one in the basement to stick the huge stockpot in.
    Alaina
    Alex Feb '03

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Just make sure to make a separate gravy. If you use the pan drippings from a brined turkey to make gravy, it will be WAY WAY WAY too salty!

~ deb
    DS born at home 12/03
    2 year check up: 25 lbs with clothes on and 35 inches!
    BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
    (Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/sty...onths-bfar.jpg

How'd you find this out? :)
    Alaina
    Alex Feb '03

Here's another helpful link:

http://bbq.about.com/od/turkey/a/aa111498.htm

You definately need to use a smaller turkey (or two small ones?) and it takes a while, but I hear they turn out amazing. DH LOVES to smoke our Thanksgiving turkeys. We bought a smoker for $40 and it was some of the best turkey I have ever had! You can make a bigger one that way, but it will take many hours too! Plus, I love that it doesn't take up the oven so I can get all the sides done.

I wish I could help more, but definately do a google search and you will find lots of info. Oh, and there are books like The Grill Bible that can really help. You might want to go check one out at the bookstore/library.

Good luck on your first Thanksgiving! I am sure everything will turn out fabulously!

icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We've smoked a turkey and have deep-fried one as well, but never tried to grill one. Only thing I can think of beyond what you/others have said - do you use propane tanks? if so, you might want to have a second one filled just in case you run out of gas from the first one (due to cooking time or having to turn the burners higher for a cold day or high winds). Of course, if you have a gas grill directly connected to a gas line, completely ignore my thoughts! :)
    Traci
    ~Connor's Mom 02/2004~
    Agency paperwork completed - waiting (and waiting) for another baby!

slr is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

My advice is to make a test run on at least a smaller turkey, just so you can gauge how long it is going to take and to see if you like the taste. We have made the mistake of trying out new cooking methods/recipes on friends and family only to have things take hours longer or taste "interesting" to say the least. Since this is your 1st shot at taking over where your mother left off, you will probably be a little nervous about things going smoothly anyway. This will give you a little peace of mind. Good Luck!

EllasMum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I literally just walked in the door from a Thanksgiving dinner (Canada!) where the turkey was done on the bbq. My brother put it on grill rack and put the rack over a drip pan. He then turned one side of the burner on medium-low and left the other burner off. I don't know how long it took, but I could certainly find out if you're interested. It turned out great - and he did baste it a few times but mostly just left it with the bbq lid closed. Oh and he did use the drippings for gravy and that was great, too! He didn't use a smoker so I can't comment on that but it was the first time I tried a bbq turkey and I thought it was great! My brother did say that it doesn't take as long as with a conventional oven. Let me know if you'd like more info!

Susan
    ~~~
    Susan
    DD 08-2005
    Impatiently awaiting adoption match!
    Cure FOP - www.ifopa.org
    ~~~

o_mom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I just have to say.... the one year we had a grilled turkey was the worst turkey I have ever had. We were at a relative's place and they always have friends who do the turkey. Now, it was a charcoal grill, but still. It was awful - dry and tasteless. I actually roasted a turkey when we got home because I was so dissapointed.

Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast