Default organic = non-GMO?

If a produce or product is organic, does that mean it's also not genetically mutated? If not, how can we make sure what we're eating has not been genetically mutated?

Just watched The Future of Food. Scary stuff.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

That's the thing. You can't. The FDA doesn't do diddly about making sure consumers are aware that what they are buying is GMO or not. I feel that this is why it's just safer to go with organic, if at all possible or better yet plant your own organic garden and make sure that the seeds you get are not GMO. I just read yesterday that both rice and corn made in the US are mostly GMO, it's more the norm than it is the exception, which makes me sick, b/c we eat a lot of rice and in the summer we eat a lot of sweet corn (I don't know if it matters that we buy our sweet corn locally or not). I'm thinking now I will have to find a source for organic rice (we go through a lot of it, b/c we are asian american) by bulk or something, b/c I have seen the small bags of organic rice at the store and it is really expensive.

The future of food is a dvd that everyone should watch.

Yes, if it is Organic, they are certifying that it is NOT GMO (genetically modified). Trader Joes doesn't sell anything GMO, and Whole Foods won't put their brand label on anything that is either.

A GREAT book to look at is "Your Right to Know" (just got it from our local library). http://www.amazon.com/Your-Right-Kno...1635147&sr=1-2

The book lists a huge number of companies that they called and asked point blank if they used GMO ingredients in their foods. And the scary thing is, that most of them either said "it's possible/very likely", or something to the equivolent of "yes-and proud of it!". Very few said no, and they were mostly places that put out organic products anyway, such as Stoneyfield, Annies, etc. More natural brand companies. The only ones that surprised me were Fritos corn chips are not made from GMO corn, and DelMonte refuse to buy GMO produce.

So, we usually buy organic because 1)I believe in eating organically to start with, and 2) Even for things that don't retain very much pesticide residue, there is the fear of GMO ingredients and you just never know with regular store brands what they are using.
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

anamika is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty
    I'm thinking now I will have to find a source for organic rice (we go through a lot of it, b/c we are asian american) by bulk or something, b/c I have seen the small bags of organic rice at the store and it is really expensive.

The future of food is a dvd that everyone should watch.
    Costco has organic brown rice. We eat rice a lot too.
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by mezzona
    If a produce or product is organic, does that mean it's also not genetically mutated? If not, how can we make sure what we're eating has not been genetically mutated?

Just watched The Future of Food. Scary stuff.

The interesting thing about this is that, although as a pp said, "organic" means "no gmo" by definition, I sure don't know how farmers can stop cross-polination from gmo fields to non-gmo fields. I'd love to believe it, but I grew up around agriculture and know better.
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sriniu
    Costco has organic brown rice. We eat rice a lot too.
    Thanks. I will have to see if it is worth it for us to get a membership. Costco is an hr away from us...