I live in Montreal so maybe I can put in my two cents.

When I go visit another city, my biggest concern is having a decent place to sleep which is close to transport..because I know that I am not spending my days inside the hotel.

There is a small hotel, called Auberge Royal Versailles. It is in the East End of montreal, but in a very Italian area so it is English friendly. I stayed in this place for one week because my house was flooded and we were redoing all the floors. The hotel is no frills. The staff is friendly, the rooms are clean, there is plenty of free parking, and there is a small restaurant downstairs. There is wireless internet.

I liked this place for two reasons. First of all, it wasn't expensive (about 100 a night if you go to their website). Secondly, it is literally right next to the metro, and I will tell you why this is good for you. Montreal traffic can make the dead die all over again. It is that annoying. If you really want to enjoy the place, take the metro. In 15 minutes you will be downtown, free to roam around at will.

Thats my two cents...have a grand time in Montreal!

Sarah