BethS is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Default Snack Rut, Help me dig out

I'm in a major rut when it comes to snacks that all three kids can eat. Any great ideas as to what to feed my 4, 2.5 and 1 year olds? I recently discovered the brothers fruit crisps at Costco and they all love those. What else is out there waiting for me to find?

Here's what we do:
    Fruit of all kinds
    Yogurt
    Crackers (Various Kashi styles, Triscuits)
    Whole Foods Cereal Bars
    Booty
    Peanut Butter for dipping (Not the baby, of course!)
    Raisin

I'm sad to say that's about it lately. HELP!

ETA: DS2 has nearly a full mouth of teeth and when it comes to solids is on all table food/eats what we eat. So aside from the usual safety no-nos he's able to eat most anything.
    Last edited by BethS; 01-23-2008 at 09:15 AM.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Dry cereal is always a hit with my kids

They also big into pretzels, we do small ones, abc ones and pretzel sticks.

Graham crackers

Sunflower seeds

My kids like nuts, but they are not allergic to them, obviously it's not something you'd want your youngest to have or if nut allergies are an issue in your family, you'd want to avoid it.

Bagel

Cheese

kashi has some super yummy crackers in a variety of flavors. my kids like them plain or with cheese on top. cream cheese or peanut butter would be good, too, i think.

annie's chedder bunnies or bunny grahams are a big hit.

we do natural sandwich meat wrapped around a piece of cheese (i mean the no nitrate and no aritifical perservatives meat like hormel.)

bagel pizzas- we get the whole wheat mini bagels and i add spagetti sauce and mozz cheese. last time, i hid bits of spinach under the cheese.

ETA: kashi also has some delcious cookies that are HFCS and HO free, high in fiber, low in sugar. we love them for treats- oatmeal rasin or trail mix for the kids. dark chocolate chip for me!
    Liza has been hangin' around this board for six years.

My sons are 4 and 6. And they are very loud.

BethS is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Thanks ladies for the suggestions!

octmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Archer Farms fruit leather from Target

My kids both love Archer Farms (Target's house brand) organic fruit strips. They come in about half a dozen flavors, are packaged 10 to a box, are portable, not too messy, and are not filled with junk. I've got a wildberry one here at the office (had it in my purse). The ingredients are: organic apples, organic apple puree and/ or juice concentrate, organic fruit puree and/ or juice concentrates (blueberry, strawberry, raspberry), natural flavor, and organic lemon juice concentrate. No trans fats, low sodium, and all ingredients I can pronounce. Gotta love that!

octmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Snikkidy Snacks (organic)

Just thought of another snack that my kids have liked lately-- Snikkidy Snacks. We buys a box of small bags at Sam's Club and pack them with their lunches. DD likes the grilled cheese puffs and DS likes the little chocolate chip cookies. They are organic. I wish I could find them somewhere else local (other than Sam's) in less wasteful packaging, but they are handy for packing lunches or taking along with us.

http://snikiddy.com/

When we are at home, we do lots of the items mentioned by others-- fruit, cheese, crackers, etc.

DD loves:
    fuit leather (the 100% fruit kind - no sugar added)
    cottage cheese
    toast
    muffins
    lightly salted popcorn (for the older one, not sure that would work if the younger ones would want it too)
    Healthy Handful snack packs (Whole Foods and Costco have them)
    deli meat slices rolled up

Just a few ideas! We get stuck in ruts, it's always fun to see what ideas others have.
    Lisa
    Emma 11/02
    Adam 2/07
    Their hands may be small but their feelings are just as big as ours.

Clarity is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I think your list sounds great. My 19m.o. gets fresh fruit at nearly every snack and I generally add some type of grain to go with it. Occassionally, I get really crazy and give her some type of cooked veggie, but usually snacks are my chance to get some fruit in her. Her current favorite snack is plain yogurt with sliced blueberries on top. We also give her plain rice cakes which she enjoys (not sure how the plain version goes over with the older kids, but she likes it for the crunch factor.)
    I was at z recommends one day and spotted a tofu recipe which I use occassionally for snacks and she likes that. It's cubed firm tofu, shaken in a baggie of crushed cheerios and cinnamon, (and optional wheat germ or flax seed for a nutritional boost).

Also, I came across the following link while searching for healthy snacks to share with my dd's daycare director. Don't let the school focus deter you, there's a lot of good ideas here: http://www.cspinet.org/nutritionpoli...ool_snacks.pdf
    big girl 6/06
    little girl 9/08

"I'm not stupid; I just don't stop to proofread." (PRM?)

vwh99 is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Here's one that I love giving since it's always so hard to get anything green into them....edamame! My kids love it.

Val
    dd 10/03
    ds 8/06