Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default L.A. Baby Organic 2 in 1 Orthopedic Mattress?

Has anyone tried one of these mattresses? I saw them online at Costco- but can't test it out that way & couldn't find any reviews.
    It is a two-sided crib mattress with one very firm and one less firm side.
    Any opinions/reviews would be much appreciated!

ZeeBaby is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I just saw the same product at Costco too and it seems like a very good price. Anyone else have this product?

Just bumping this to see if anyone has any updates.

I'd like to know too!!

Default What's in this mattress....

I contacted the company about what makes this mattress organic and fireproof. This is from the PDF they emailed me. Sounds like it is phalate, antimony and arsenic-free. So the question becomes all about the boric acid and the quality of the mattress itself.

L.A. Baby Mattress Information
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR INQUIRY ON OUR MATTRESS.
    ATTACHED ARE ALL OF THE SPECS ON ALL OF OUR MATTRESSES.
    SEE ATTACHED CALLED 2008 REVISED MATTRESS SPEC SHEET.
    THIS INFORMATION IS ALL THAT WE NEED TO SELL OUR MATTRESS TO MAJOR USERS AND WE DO
    NOT HAVE ANY OTHER INFORMATION AVAILABLE SO WE HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL AND SUFFICIENT.
    IF YOU NEED OTHER INFORMATION WE ARE SORRY BUT WE DO NOT HAVE ANY MORE INFORMATION
    AVAILABLE.
    ON THE 5260 ORGANIC MATTRESS SPECIFICALLY
    THE CORRECT PERCENT OF ORGANIC COTTON MATERIAL THAT IS IN THE MATTRESS IS 59% THIS
    INFORMATION IS ON EVERY LAW TAG THAT IS ON EACH MATTRESS.
    WE HAVE TWO LAYERS OF ORGANIC COTTON.
    THE THIRD LAYER IS 85% COTTON AND 15% POLY FIBER - THIS IS THE FIRE BARRIER THAT WE HAVE
    TO USE TO MEET THE STATE AND FEDERAL FLAME TESTING REGULATIONS. NO COMPANY CAN
    SELL A LEGAL MATTRESS IN THE U.S.A. THAT IS TOTALLY MADE WITH ORGANIC COTTON. YOU HAVE
    TO HAVE SOME TYPE OF FIRE BARRIER.
    Size of mattress is 27 3/4" x 51 7/8" x 5 7/8"
    THE FOLLOWING IS WHAT WE USE AS A FIRE BARRIER FOR OUR ORGANIC COTTON MATTRESS
    The cover of this mattress is a water proof jacquard fabric with NO HARMFUL CHEMICALS. No vinyl is used.
    While the mattress is water proof it is always a good idea to also use a waterproof cover overtop the mattress for
    extra protection.
    The fire barrier detailed below is the fire barrier that L.A. Baby uses and also IS THE ONLY FIRE BARRIER
    THAT SERTA ALLOWS TO BE USED IN THEIR JUVENILE AND ADULT MATTRESS.
    Our mattress conforms to all state and federal requirements for flammability including the most rigid test which is
    the federal standard 1633.
    Boric acid, a compound made of the elements hydrogen, oxygen and boron, is an essential part of a
    healthy human diet and is a beneficial ingredient in many multi-vitamin tablets. Boron, typically in the
    form of boric acid, is a naturally-occurring element found in fruits, vegetables and nuts. In fact, the
    average person eats between 1 and 3 milligrams (mg) of boron each day as part of a normal healthy
    diet. That is equivalent to about 6 to 17 mg of boric acid.
    Boron is also essential to the growth of many plants. For example, without boron, cotton itself could
    not grow. That means that even virgin organically grown cotton – which by definition has never been
    treated with boric acid – would naturally contain some boron.
    Based on normal consumer use patterns, the inhalation, dermal (skin) and oral exposure to boric acid
    through contact with mattresses is more than 1000 times less than EPA’s threshold level, and is also
    well below conservative human health criteria established by the Agency for Toxic Substances and
    Disease Registry (ASTDR) within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and the National
    Academy of Sciences (NAS).
    What do government agencies and other organizations say about boric acid-treated cotton fiber?
    In 2006, the Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC) provided a “conservative best
    estimate” that the average adult is exposed to a daily dose of 0.081 mg boric acid when sleeping on
    a mattress that contains an FR barrier made with boric-acid-treated cotton fiber. Importantly, such
    exposures are negligible and harmless.
    · Compared to sleeping on a mattress that contains boric acid-treated cotton, a
    consumer receives far more exposure to boric acid by eating a healthy diet
    with fruits and vegetables (see bar chart on first page).
    · Widely used multi-vitamin tablets (e.g., Centrum®) provides twenty times
    more exposure to boric acid than the “conservative best estimate” from
    sleeping on a mattress.
    · The amount of boric acid that a healthy person consumes in a daily diet of
    fruits and vegetables further exceeds this level of consumption several fold.
    · CPSC’s estimated exposure to boric acid easily meets the CPSC’s safety
    guidelines, as well as the Upper Limit in the diet established by the National
    Academy of Sciences Food and Nutrition Board and the Reference Dose
    (acceptable daily dose) developed by the U.S. Environmental Protection
    Agency.
    · The table below shows the relationship between the “conservative best
    estimate” of exposure from sleeping on a mattress using boric acid-treated
    cotton and U.S. safety guidelines.
    A firm that specializes in evaluating the safety of various materials used in consumer products,
    known as Geomatrix Consulting Inc. (www.geomatrix.com), has also evaluated the extent to which
    consumers might be exposed to boric acid from using mattresses in which treated cotton is used as
    an FR barrier.
    · Among other things, the Geomatrix study was designed to measure the extent to
    which a child jumping on a mattress that contains boric acid-treated FR barrier
    would generate boric acid both on the surface of the mattress and in the air
    surrounding the mattress that could then be ingested into the human body either
    orally, through skin contact or by inhalation.
    · The Geomatrix toxicologists determined that boric acid exposure in not expected to
    present any significant health risks to consumers.
    · Air sampling tests found no detectable airborne boric acid. Furthermore,
    Geomatrix found no significant variance above the mattress or away from the
    mattress in the measurement of respirable particles, nor was there any observed
    increase in respirable particles over the course of the impact testing. Therefore,
    inhalation is not considered as a pathway of exposure to boric acid.
    · Toxicologists determined that the minimal amounts of boric acid detected on the
    surface of the mattress would not contribute to human dermal or oral intake that
    would be considered significant from a health standpoint.
    · Furthermore, Geomatrix’s evaluation of dermal exposure assumed direct contact
    between a mattress surface and unclothed skin. Such direct exposure is highly
    unlikely to occur in most situations because an FR barrier that contains boric acidtreated
    cotton is used inside the mattress, beneath the outer fabric covering.
    Furthermore, mattresses are typically used with sheets and mattress pads.
    Based on normal consumer use patterns, the inhalation, dermal and oral exposures to boric
    acid via contact with a mattress of 0.00079 mg/day is more than 1400-fold less than the EPA’s
    threshold level of 14 mg/day, and is also a miniscule percentage of the more conservative
    levels set by ASTDR and NAS.
    L.A. Baby Juvenile Products

Has anyone purchased this or seen it? I want to know if it is firm enough. I am thinking of just going ahead and ordering it since Costco has such a great return policy.

Did you order it? I'm thinking about it too!

Not sure if anyone is checking this thread still, but I just received this mattress and I'm having second thoughts. I can feel each and every spring when I press on the toddler side, although the infant side seems great. I was wondering if the 260 coils would be overkill and I'm thinking that's a yes! I'm going to get my husband's opinion tonight, but I'm not 100% satified. It is also VERY heavy.

mongo is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Default la baby organic mattress

So did you decide to keep the mattress?

Does anyone else have a review on this organic mattress?

mongo is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Default organic mattress is really nice!!!

I know costco usually sells great products and has a no hassle return policy, so I decided to buy the L.A. Baby Organic mattress, despite the one negative comment posted above.

I received the mattress by delivery (which was only $5!!!) and the mattress felt excellent. Unlike the above reviewer, I didn't feel any of the coils. The mattress is nice and thick. The toddler side is nice and plush and the infant side seems very supportive. I placed it in my IKEA gulliver crib and it fits perfectly with no gaps. I am very pleased.

I recently visited BRU and the mattresses I saw there felt like junk. One of them on the shelf listed for $50 more than the L.A. Baby organic mattress was totally deformed and one corner was bent.

I thought the L.A. Baby mattress was a steal for $119, but now Costco.com is offering a $15 instant rebate to make this $105!!!. I don't think you can beat this price for that quality. Since I am expecting twins I am going to order the second mattress now before the rebate offer expires.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast