Default To Pacifier or Not to Pacifier

I have been putting my four-week-old son on the breast whenever he cues, for the most part. (Sometimes, I can tell he's just using me as a pacifier and sometimes not.) He must be 11 lbs. now. Anyway, he's been spitting up lately after a little nibble, and it makes me think he really just needs to suck on something and not eat. I've read that sometimes babies are just thirsty, but I don't think it's that. I don't mind being used as a pacifier sometimes, but I have to admit I can't do it all the time. Whew! I just tried out the pacifier the hospital sent home with us. He sucks on it a bit and spits it out. He does seem to be a little more calm after some sucking on it.

Oh goodness, I am not sure what I'm asking. How do I know it's really what he needs? Will it change his cueing for milk? I don't want to miss a cue for a real feeding.

I'm worried about starting a pacifier (and which one? Is there one better for EBFing moms?) when I have to start him on an occasional bottle soon. (Three different nips! Confusion!?

Can you tell I'm a FTM?

Thanks, ladies!
    Anne

amandabea is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

well, I don't know if I'll be any help or not, but we do use the pacifier. I didn't want to because of the dreaded nipple confusion, but while at the hospital she got one...I had actually told them I did not want her to have a pacifier because I was BFing, but, well, they gave it to her anyway.

Anyway, we never had any nipple confusion...she knew the difference between the silicone nipple on the pacifier and the real thing. She just turned 1 last week and she is still using the pacifier. Working FT and a business trip put an early end to our BFing at 9 months, but she never had a problem switching from the breast to the bottle to the pacifier during that time. If she wanted milk then she wouldn't take the pacifier and if she just wanted to suck to soothe herself to sleep, then the pacifier was fine.

Our ped recommended the Nuk (Gerber) silicone pacifiers and that's what we still use now. I think the latex ones are bad or maybe they are just intended for older babies.

HTH,
    Amanda

KBecks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We liked Soothie pacifiers and used them *very very sparingly*, but it was nice to have them on hand in case we got desperate for anything that might help.
    Karen, mom to three beautiful boys, 10/2004, 7/2006 and 10/2008!
    trying to spend less time online, doh!

*I regret choosing circumcision for my sons.*
    Our new arrival is NOT circed.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My 9week ds is bf'ing and I am hoping to avoid a pacifier. I just don't want to have to go put it back in repeatedly in the middle of the night or have him use it all the time during the day. That said, we have tried it with mixed success. There are times that I just know he is done eating but still fussy and he has taken the pacifier some of those times. We are most likely to offer it after that last feeding of the night if he seems to need it.

I think that when they are truly hungry there will be no denying it. They will not accept the pacifier.

Something to watch out for is using it around growth spurts. 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months...those are the standard times for growth spurts (as you know since you have already been through them!) and baby needs to keep on the breast to bump up your supply. You don't want to miss the window for the supply jump. So, during those times you might want to hold off on it more than normal.

We haven't had any nipple confusion issues. He just tried a bottle for the first time at 7 weeks and he ate it with no problems once he realized it had food.

We also have the Nuk silicone nipples. My sister has a latex allergy so I try to avoid it.

My first never used a pacifier and we never had a problem. Those first 6 weeks I felt like I spent the whole time with him attached to me but it was only a tiny window of time in hindsight.

Go with what feels good for you. He'll let you know if he wants it.

Beth