npace19147 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Bleeding nipple, need some advice

DD2 is 10 1/2 months old and after some initial frustration with latch issues we've had a great nursing relationship.

Lately, though, she's been very distractible while nursing, which I know is normal. When she hears something interesting, she pulls off, looks around to see what it is, then relatches.

I've been lazy with the latch lately and that combined with the pulling off has done a number on my nipple. It's only the left side, which has always been a more sluggish producer - righty is the superboob, as we call it. But Saturday night I saw blood on DD's cheek and then saw that my nipple was bleeding.

I've been using Lansinoh on it, and taking some Advil. I've expressed a little milk intermittently to put on it (per Kellymom) and today I got Soothies, which helped a little bit but stung when on for too long.

I am still nursing her on that side, but very reluctantly! I'm trying to be careful of the latch but we're still having the pulling off problem which is reinjuring it, I think.

I'm seriously thinking about weaning her on the injured side and just nursing on the other. But I would prefer not to.

Sorry for the novel...any BTDT advice? Thanks!
    Nancy, mom to

DD1 5/04 and DD2 3/07

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We had this very recently. DS actually bit me a couple times with teething and then with all the latch on/off was reinjuing it. However, I also started having some more generallized sore nipples and it was thrush. Once I started Diflucan the injury healed very rapidly. If you have any lotramin, try putting that on after nursing in case there is yeast.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)