Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How many newborn-size diapers I need?

MY due date is in 2 wks. How many newborn size diapers I should buy now in preparation? How many of size 1?
    Thanks!

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

1 bag of newborns. My last ds was a big boy(9lb 8oz and 22 1/2in) and didnt use the whole bag. He peed up and out the top of the waist band. Then the regular pampers broke him out in a rash.

See how the newborns fit then decide if you want more newborns or go to size 1's. DONT buy in bulk or your stuck with diapers you dont like/cant use.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

deannanb is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I remember buying 3 or 4 packs of Pampers Swaddler Newborns - I thought based on weight that the #1 diapers would work - and they were too big. I think it all depends on the size of your baby. Mine was 8.1# 21 inches long -

I would buy several small packs and return what you didn't open.

hth
    Deanna
    my three sons
    8/95, 10/04 and 6/08

Buy a pack of each and then see how big the baby is. You can always send your DH out for more of whatever size you will need. Believe me, you will be making MANY trips for all kinds of other stuff, so the dipes will be the least of your worries.

Both my girls were in NB swaddlers for at least 10-12 WEEKS before moving to size 1s. If it interests you, Sophie was 6lbs 1oz but was 5lbs 7oz when we brought her home and Amelia was 6lbs. 8oz born, and 6lbs. 'on the nose' when she came home.

The hospital nursery only had size 1 Pampers Baby Drys (not even Swaddlers - regular BD's) both times around and they were GIANORMOUS on the girls - they literally would fall off their little heineys.

I got smart the second time and had Jonathan bring me a small pack of NB Swaddlers. It made a world of difference and made dipe changes just so much more, well, easier (The NB Swaddlers have -- or at least they used to -- have cutouts for the belly button stumps).

HTH

-m
    Wife to Jonathan
    Mom to Sophia 12/02 and Amelia 12/04

DS never wore NB diapers. When he was born, the hospital told me he was too big for the newborns, so we started out with Pampers Swaddlers Size 1. DS was 8' 4". I would buy a regular size package of NB and size 1, and not open them until you are home with the baby. If they are unopened, you can always return the NB pack to the store, and the size 1 can sit in the closet until you are ready to use them.
    Robin

Mommy to Tristan 10/11/05 and Parker 10/31/08

i just recently gave birth to my 8'4 ds. i think i went thru the 84 ? count box of pampers newborns or maybe not even that many and then moved onto the size 1's. I agree with definitely not loading up on nb's, see what size baby you give birth to and then buy from there. You will want some to start b/c you won't want your dh running around crazy for this stuff. BRU seems to have the best prices, at least in my area, and they accept returns of unopened packages/boxes. lots of luck!

We used maybe 1 or 2 bags of newborns and then into size 1's. DS was 8lbs 5oz. FTR, I had totally planned on using Pampers, but the first time we put him in them, he got a terrible rash, plus DH and I were both overwhelmed by the perfumey scent. So I was very glad we hadn't stocked up on them.
    mommy to DS who is 9
    DD who is 6
    and my girl in heaven

With DS who was 8lbs 13oz I think we used maybe one bag. DD was 10lbs. The nurse tried to put a NB diaper on her and promptly took it off and went to get a bag of size 1s.
    Stacey
    Mama to DS '03
    DD '06
    and DD '10

for Samuel

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

DS1 wore exactly 2 or 3 newborn diapers. He was 8lbs, 4oz and 22" long. Size 1s fit him so much better.

DS2 wore about a half pack of newborn diapers after he got home (at one week of age). He was 8lbs, 6oz and 21" long at birth.

So, between the two of them, I went through less than a pack of newborn diapers! Interesting that some babies in this thread were about the same size but spent a lot more time in newborn dipes - that should tell the OP that YMMV!!

For both, Pampers Swaddlers (or Baby Dry) worked the best for size 1; Huggies never worked for us in newborn sizes. But once we hit size 3, I much preferred Huggies over Pampers, though there are some good store brands out there, too. Note that we use cloth 90%+ of the time, but still use enough disposables to form an opinion.

So, buy a few packs of newborn dipes but keep your receipts so that you can always return them for something bigger or a different brand!
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

codex57 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'd buy the smallest pack of a couple brands. We did Pampers Swaddlers and the Huggies one that comes in a dark red bag with the cutout for the belly button. Coworker was using the Huggies and liked em. Relatives with older kids liked the Swaddlers. Bought both to try out.

You never know how big your kid will be. We actually ended up using quite a lot of them cuz DS came a month early. While in the hospital, there was a baby next to us that came in at 11 pounds. They'd have had to skip newborns completely.

Just buy a small pack so you won't waste much in case the kid doesn't like them or outgrows them quickly. After a couple of days, you'll have a good idea how many your kid goes through in a day and you can buy the bigger packs of the brand you like most.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast