Thread: Puky bikes

KrystalS is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Puky bikes

DD has a Puky balance bike. We've had it for about 2 years, absolutely love it! DD rides it daily. The last few months we've had to inflate the tires about once a week. Prior to that I don't think we inflated them more than a few times since we bought the bike. We just inflated them last week and one is almost flat. We don't have an air pump, really need to get one, so I've been taking the bike to an auto shop close to our house and have them inflate it. Because the air valve is so small it sometimes takes them a few tries to get air in the tires. Anyway, all this explanation is because I'm not sure if there is a hole in the tube or if something happened when I let the guys at the auto shop air up the tires. Once a worker took the whole valve off because air wasn't getting in the tire so he thought the valve had to come off. This obviously completed deflated the tire and he had a really hard time getting it aired up after that. Those that have this bike, do you have your own air pump? If so what kind? Did you have to buy a special valve to air up the tires? Has anyone ever had to replace the tubes? Where do I buy them from? I originally bought the bike from glider rider but I think they are selling a different balance bike now.
    -Krystal

DD 2/04
    DS 10/5/10

nupe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Air pump

I have been using the air pump that came with my MBUD to reinflate the tires of our Puky. We have had the puky a couple months so I can't address your other questions. I have a power air pump but can't get it to fit the puky.
    Nupe
    DS1 2004
    DS2 2007

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Any bike shop should be able to replace the inner tube. A tube doesn't cost much, you may want to call around on cost to put it on. It sounds like the valve is bad or the tube has a hole.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

BeachBum is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We use a regular hand pump like we do to pump up our bikes. I had to buy an adapter for it (for like .25 cents) at the bike shop.
    My advice would be to take the PUKY to the bike shop, tell the guy the problem and see what he recommends.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Go to a bike store. DH went to inflate a wheel and because you need an adapter for the valve (made in Europe, and they use a different valve), he managed to damage the valve. The damaged inner tube was replaced, and we got an adapter for the other inner tube. It didn't cost much at all, and we can now use our electric air pump if we need to.

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig
    Go to a bike store. DH went to inflate a wheel and because you need an adapter for the valve (made in Europe, and they use a different valve), he managed to damage the valve. The damaged inner tube was replaced, and we got an adapter for the other inner tube. It didn't cost much at all, and we can now use our electric air pump if we need to.
    Oh, yes <head slap icon here>, they probably have Presta valves - ask at the bike shop.

http://www.matthewsbikes.com/techcorner/prestavalve.htm
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)