HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default DS usesthe potty at home but not at preschool--HELP

DS has been potty training for 5 days. Something just clicked and he wears underwear at home and goes to the bathroom by himself when he feels the urge. Of course, this is just pee. He won't poop in the potty yet. However, at preschool (he wears a pull up) he told the teacher he would not go to the bathroom because it wasn't his potty seat from home. We are bringing in his potty seat that fits on the toilet (he has a spare) so that he will want to go potty at school. Has anyone BTDT? Did your DC having their potty at school help?

Also, how do you handle public bathrooms? DS wants to wear underwear all the time, and so far has had 2 small accidents in 5 days at home. I want to let DS wear his underwear out, but I don't want him sitting on a public toilet. What do you use?

Thanks
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I just saw this post - sorry for getting to it late. My DS did the exact same thing. He would refuse to go at preschool and some times he could hold it until I got there and then he would go, or mostly, he had an accident. The school was fine with it as they knew he was PTed at home and they said to be patient. It went on for 3-4 weeks. We then went away for a week, came back and DS didn't have an issue anymore at the school. His teacher said that's common for a vacation to erase a habit - he forgot that he told them he can't go at school.

So, if the school is OK with him being in underwear and accidents, I would do that. If they're not OK, then keep him in pull-ups there and have the teachers take him to the potty at regular times. He'll catch on.