HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default How to get DS to poop in the potty?

DS is potty trained during the day at 3 yrs and 3 months. All the kids in his preschool class are training which is what I think prompted him to start. He is really good at peeing in the potty each time and telling me when he has to go. He wears an overnight to bed, but it isn't nearly as full as it used to be. However, he refuses to poop in the potty. He will do it in a diaper sometimes. The rest of the time he just does it in his underwear (he only poops once a day now). What can I do to encourage DS to use the potty to poop?

Also, DS will not use the potty while we are out. He can actually hold it for up to 4 hours, which I would rather he not do on a regular basis. He won't go anywhere accept in the house (even if I bring a portable potty in the car with us). Anyone BTDT? How do you handle that?

Thanks.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

I don't really have an answer, because we are in a similar situation. DS has pooped 3 times in the potty, even though he's been basically trained since September. He wears pull-ups during nap and at night, and that's when he poops. He's never gone potty in public- he has an incredible ability to hold it. So, I'll be interested in the responses!
    C
    DS1 (04)
    DS2 (07)

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Subbing, b/c we are in the same boat.

I don't want to make it into a big issue, so when he asks for a diaper, I just give it to him, or ask one time if he want to go to the potty, then hand over the diaper. I just can't see him suddenly saying, "Yes, I do want to poop in the potty!" LOL Maybe that is the way it happens though- I just don't know. Peeing was so easy- he peed within 5 minutes of the chair arriving- seriously.

If I pushed him, he'd really resist, so I really want to just go with the flow as much as possible. DS is the kind of kid that does things in his own time, no matter what you do, so I think I probably just need to wait and see, but I guess it would help if I could see how it happens for others.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

Bribery, pure and simple. If DS pooped in potty, we told him he could go to Target and pick out any toy (within reason) that he wanted. He said to me one day soon after in the store, "I have to go to the potty" and got his Target trip.

Now, though, he really wants to have a Target trip again....
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Bribery here too - gummi bears. I had him nearly weaned off them, and then my mother visited for 5 weeks and was giving them out for any potty action. We're back to only 1 for poos and once this last bag is gone, it's gone. Hopefully!

As for out and about, DS was like that at school, refused to go and would hold it until he had an accident. Then one day, he went, the whole class cheered, and that was it.

You may just have to wait it out.

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DS goes pee like a champ. No accidents so far. He even started standing to pee (he just asked if he could and doesn't sit anymore). He won't poop in a diaper or pull up or the potty. He just goes in his underpants (unless he somehow times to happen in the evening after his bath --he wears overnight pull ups or goodnights to bed because he doesn't stay dry every night). Nothing I have done--rewards, encouragement etc... will get him to stop pooping in his underpants. He just refuses. Any suggestions?
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007