Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mytwosons is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Checking Marathon for flight

This will be our first time not using the seat during the flight, so I'm a little unsure of how to pack it. Do I just find a duffle bag that is big enough? Any idea what size I need?

Many thanks!

bensmom is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

How old is your child? Why aren't you using it during the flight? Is there another seat that you could take on the plane with you? I would think that a large duffle should work. But, I personally am afraid to check a seat on the airplane. I've arrived at my destination too many times and my luggage hasn't made it. It's inconvenient when it's my clothes, I'd be stuck at the airport if it's my carseat.

Depending on your child's weight/height/age, there might be some good carry-on options for the plane.

Gate checking it is safer than checking it with your luggage, if you are not going to use it on the plane. But once you have carried it that far, you might as well use it on the plane.
    ...Karen
    ds 1991
    dd 2003
    dd 2008 now home from Taiwan!

Default Clarification

Sorry! I should have included more info!

This is my oldest son's seat. He's almost 5 and just about to outgrow the seat. I'll be purchasing a regent during the sale, so I'm not too concerned if the Marathon's cover gets ripped, etc. We will also have a booster available to us at the destination, should the Marathon get lost or damaged, but of course, I'd prefer not to have to use it.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It sounds like maybe you are traveling with two kids (you mentioned this was your oldest sons seat), so I'm assuming you're bringing the other child and seat along (thus the thoughts of checking the MA as luggage)- I would be a little worried about damage, esp. if you can pass along the seat later to the other child (and those used covers, even if the seat expires, are very sought after!). I'd try to pad it very well or wrap in bubble wrap and then inside a bag if you do check as luggage. Another thought depending on your son's height/weight/ability to sit properly...if you don't already have one..maybe purchase a decent High back booster online and have it shipped to your destination (most do free shipping). Just another idea to throw out there.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

If the booster available at your destination is a decent one, why not just use that and skip carrying the MA at all? Assuming your kid fits the height and weight requirements for the booster.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

I'm getting ready to fly with my one year old and am wondering what to do about his Marathon seat. Since he's under two, I'm going to hold him on my lap (only a two hour flight) but I really don't even want to take the Marathon considering what happened to my niece's car seat. They checked it and when it showed up on the baggage claim carousel, it was missing half of the foam padding! The airlines had *nicely* put the cover back on as to hide the fact that the seat was no longer safe. The airlines gave her a loaner so she was able to go home, and sent the broken one to get fixed. My sister-in-law opted for the $$ they offered instead of getting the seat "fixed".

So, I think I'm just going to borrow a cheaper car seat from a family member who is no longer using it and if the airlines damage it, no biggie. (As long as they don't damage it on the way to the destination!)

Has anyone else ever had damage to their car seats by the airlines?
    Mommy to DS born March '07 and DS born April '11

Quote Originally Posted by mytwosons
    This will be our first time not using the seat during the flight, so I'm a little unsure of how to pack it. Do I just find a duffle bag that is big enough? Any idea what size I need?

Many thanks!
    My DD is going to be 5 yo in May. I still have a Marathon and use it for her as our travel seat. I take it on the plane. That way she can be contained, more comfortable.

If you want a bag to check it in .. there are all sorts of carseat bags out there that you can buy. Or the airlines have big bags they will give you to put it in when checking your baggage..

Recently I came across a website that had some good info why it is safest and best to put your child in their carseat on the airplane:

Here is a letter written by a flight attendent on a message board about what can happen if your child is on your lap or just in a airplane seat:

http://messageboards.ivillage.com/n/...ts&msg=22118.1

Here is a quote from that letter:

Let me offer this graphic thought: Parents, if the plane DOES crash and your baby is on your lap, the baby becomes a human air bag for you. Your baby will die instantly. I had a passenger tearfully tell me that this happened to her. She is now crippled, and her only child (who would be 9 now) was killed.

Here is info from the FAA:

The FAA strongly urges parents and guardians to secure children in an appropriate restraint based on weight and size. Keeping a child in a CRS or device during the flight is the smart and right thing to do.

Did you know the safest place for your little one during turbulence or an emergency is in an approved child restraint system (CRS) or device

2 quotes above came from:

www.faa.gov

Default Thanks, everyone!

Thanks for all your thoughts and ideas!

This is my son's first flight not using his seat, and I feel fine with that decision. With the Marathon, we always had difficulty using the seat tray and he was in the position to kick the seat in front of him. He is just shy of 40 lbs, and the airline (non-US) we are flying has a limit of 40 lbs for kids in seats. I don't want a hassle w/the airline right before take off. I feel he'll be safe.

I was hesitant to use a borrowed booster at our destination because I don't know exactly what kind it is, and it's likely just a belt positioner instead of 5-pt. But, I think I'm going to get more info and decide based on that.

Thanks!

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mytwosons
    Thanks for all your thoughts and ideas!

This is my son's first flight not using his seat, and I feel fine with that decision. With the Marathon, we always had difficulty using the seat tray and he was in the position to kick the seat in front of him. He is just shy of 40 lbs, and the airline (non-US) we are flying has a limit of 40 lbs for kids in seats. I don't want a hassle w/the airline right before take off. I feel he'll be safe.

I was hesitant to use a borrowed booster at our destination because I don't know exactly what kind it is, and it's likely just a belt positioner instead of 5-pt. But, I think I'm going to get more info and decide based on that.

Thanks!
    We fly often and Nathan still uses is radian but sometime soon he wont. I would bag and gate check his carseat. Your right if it gets damaged you can go pick up a booster for your trip.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast