Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    bensmom is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

My 4 year old (40 pounds) sits in just the airplane seat. He's good about not unbuckling it. I take the Safeguard Go with me - but if your DS is outgrowing the MA, you probably won't get much use out of the Go. I personally would consider a Ridesafer travel vest (if my DS was less stubborn and willing to wear it), or getting more info on the booster.

Quote Originally Posted by mytwosons
    Thanks for all your thoughts and ideas!

This is my son's first flight not using his seat, and I feel fine with that decision. With the Marathon, we always had difficulty using the seat tray and he was in the position to kick the seat in front of him. He is just shy of 40 lbs, and the airline (non-US) we are flying has a limit of 40 lbs for kids in seats. I don't want a hassle w/the airline right before take off. I feel he'll be safe.

I was hesitant to use a borrowed booster at our destination because I don't know exactly what kind it is, and it's likely just a belt positioner instead of 5-pt. But, I think I'm going to get more info and decide based on that.

Thanks!
    Here is what the FAA says about limits on weight and height and your children being in a Child Restraint System:

The FAA strongly urges parents and guardians to secure children in an appropriate restraint based on weight and size. Keeping a child in a CRS or device during the flight is the smart and right thing to do.

Did you know the safest place for your little one during turbulence or an emergency is in an approved child restraint system (CRS) or device.

info from www.faa.gov

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

The OP already said she is flying on a non-US airline so the FAA and its policies really aren't very helpful for her.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber
    The OP already said she is flying on a non-US airline so the FAA and its policies really aren't very helpful for her.
    The FAA still manages and regulates Non-US flights in and out of United States so technically she could follow FAA recommendations and regulations.
    Last edited by 801kelle; 02-22-2008 at 03:48 PM.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

The FAA still manages and regulates Non-US flights in and out of United States
    My understanding was that the rules for flight are governed by the country of origin of the aircraft. I know people on this board have faced situations where they were not allowed to use carseats AT ALL on planes because the carrier was a non-US carrier.
    Last edited by egoldber; 02-22-2008 at 04:12 PM.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Beth is correct, non-US carriers do not have to follow FAA regulations, at least as far as things like car seats go. They follow their own rules based on their country of origin, which may or (more likely) may not be similar to US rules. For the OP, if your DS is borderline, I agree that I probably wouldn't want to risk having to argue with the flight crew right before takeoff.

I probably would try to gatecheck the MA if at all possible, though. The likelihood of damage is SO much less if you do gate-check vs. check as luggage.
    Gaye
    Single mama to Tyler (5/06), RN, triathlete.

My understanding was that the rules for flight are governed by the country of origin of the aircraft. I know people on this board have faced situations where they were not allowed to use carseats AT ALL on planes because the carrier was a non-US carrier.

The post did not say what country her flight is originating in so that is why I gave all the information I did. It just said non-US flight.

It doesn't matter where the flight originates. If the airline is based in another country, the FAA rules for carseats are not relevant.

There are many stories on this board about people flying non-us airlines. Quantas is one that has some strange rules, for example, even if you board it in the U.S.
    ...Karen
    ds 1991
    dd 2003
    dd 2008 now home from Taiwan!

mytwosons is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Won't be in the US at all

I'll be taking a non-US carrier and I'll be outside of the US for the entire flight.

Quote Originally Posted by 801kelle
    The FAA still manages and regulates Non-US flights in and out of United States so technically she could follow FAA recommendations and regulations.

The OP that started the thread said this: This will be our first time not using the seat during the flight, so I'm a little unsure of how to pack it. Do I just find a duffle bag that is big enough? Any idea what size I need?

Then the discussion started about using seats and not.. So that is why I orginally posted all the other info about using carseats and what the FAA RECOMMENDS.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast