elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default OK to tether RF under the seat?

So I just randomly came across a post here that mentioned a rear facing convertible should only be tethered to something on the floor in front of the seat, as in more toward the front of the car.
    I didn't realize I had it wrong! I currently have a MA tethered to the seat it's installed in.
    What is the reason behind needing to tether to something more forward? Or is it the fact that the seat itself can become unstable?
    In my Volvo XC90 someone graciously pointed out that there is a D ring up under the driver's seat (maybe passenger's too) that can work. So that would work, but only if I never move the driver's seat at all. If my husband drives though, he needs to move the seat forward, and then the tether would lose the tightness and become slack.
    I thought the under the seat position was perfect but I guess I was wrong, huh?
    Last edited by elektra; 02-25-2008 at 08:45 PM. Reason: typo
    DD
    DS

Britax no longer allows Swedish RF tethering to the vehicle seat on which the car seat sits. They are continuously testing their seats and at some point (a few years ago I believe) they must have found that RF tethering to the same seat didn't perform as well as they wanted.

Here is the info from Britax's FAQ:

Q. Can my Britax convertible car seat be tethered rear-facing?

A. Yes. Britax convertible car seats (e.g., Roundabout, Diplomat, Marathon, Decathlon, Boulevard) may be tethered when installed rear-facing. Britax recommends one of two modes of rear-facing tethering:

Australian Method:
    • This method requires the tether hook to be attached to a tether anchorage located to the rear of the vehicle.
    • Consult the vehicle's owner's manual for tether anchorage locations.
    • Use the same tether anchors as designated for forward-facing child seats.
    • This method controls forward rotation of the child seat in front impact crashes.
    Swedish Method:
    • This method requires the tether hook be attached to a location to the front of the vehicle.
    • Consult the vehicle's owner's manual for tether anchor locations.
    • Do not attach to a tether anchor that is on the same seat as the child restraint system.
    • Attach to a strong structural point of the seat frame in front, the non-moving track to which the seat in front is attached, or the safety belt anchor of the seat in front.
    • A D-ring connector strap (anchor strap) is provided with each Britax convertible child seat to assist with this installation, if needed.
    • This method controls rebound of the child seat in front impact crashes and aids with achieving correct recline angle for newborns and infants.
    Please consult for child seat's user guide for illustrations of these two methods.

Don't all Volvos have little square metal hooks on the bottom of the front seat tracks? If yours has it, that's what it's for...tethering . Lemme see if I can find a picture (will edit when/if I can find it). (edit) Oh, wait, you already found it. Um... try it, see if it really does introduce a lot of slack. The tether doesn't need to be really tight, just not floppy loose, so it may be fine either way (with the seat moved forward or back), and it's easy enough to loosen and tighten...or put the seat behind the passenger side and don't move it after everything's installed and set up just right.

Last edited by Joolsplus2; 02-25-2008 at 07:56 PM.
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thanks. I think I will try under the passenger's seat.
    I have really long legs and DH has really short legs so our driver's seat gets moved a long way when it does get moved.
    DD
    DS

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Question

Julie,

I seem to remember back in the summer a thread about this topic and the consensus was it was "ok" to tether to the same seat (we have ours in our Monterey minivan tethered to this small bar which is completely stationary-not the bar that is used to remove the seat )- so have the rules changed since I tethered...ack!