Piglet is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Here we go again - thinking of a new carseat (Canada)

I swear if it isn't one kid, it's the other... we finally had them all happy in their seats, so now I have to go and change things!

Here is the scenario:

DD is 9.5 months old and in a Grace Safe Seat which is impossible to lift. I don't know her exact weight, but I venture to guess she is over 20 lbs, and is tallish. She recently moved into 12-18 month clothes. I should have her measurements, but they aren't all that important for this question. I have a few options for her, but I don't know which to chose. DH is leaning to the status quo (because it is the cheapest, LOL). I want to start thinking of her next seat so that I can start stalking the sales. For now, I have a Scenera that isn't being used, so I could always put her in it. The problem is that I am spoiled by DS2s MA and while I love the Scenera as a back up seat, it would bug me if it was primary seat. The other seat at our disposal is a 2001 FPSE, which thankfully has 1.5 years left on it, I think. DS2 uses it in DH's car (which is the primary car for him). I could put DS2 into the Scenera FF, put DD in the FPSE RF and everyone will be happy.

OR...

I could buy a new seat... I am thinking of a Radian or another MA. I know that I don't need it, and I know that I have at least 1.5 years before I *have* to change seats, but given the fact that whatever seat I buy now would last a minimum 6 years, it would be DD's seat from the start to the finish (as in, she would outgrow it before it expired anyway). I don't have the option of passing DS2's MA down either because 1) he loves it and 2) it might have 3.5 years left on it at best, which still wouldn't cover the full length of DDs car seat needs.

I guess my theory is that I will one day have to buy a new seat for DD anyway (either in 1.5 years or in 3.5 years), so why not buy it sooner rather than later and feel like I actually got the full use out of it. The only reason not to do it, as far as I can tell is that in 1.5 years there might be a really awesome seat out there (but who am I kidding - I live in Canada and even if there is a cool seat, it won't be available here, LOL).

Please weigh in!

Thanks,

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014

Didn't mean to skip you...Canada questions make my head hurt, lol. You seem to have it down, though... <putting on psychologist hat> What do YOU feel is right?
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

If you pitch it right, I bet your DS2 will LOVE the RN. We gave DD#1's MAs to the baby and got her RNs. We pitched them as her "big girl" seats. AND, the fact that the sextuplets on Jon & Kate + 8 have RNs and she gets to see them on TV every week helps a TON. They are on TLC on Monday nights.

Personally, I would get a RN for your DS2 and give *his* MA to your DD. Once your DS2 is out of the RN, you can pass it down to your DD.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Neatfreak is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I would tell you exactly what Melissa did, you know.
    ~ Laura

One in 2004 and the other one in 2008

So, why would you rather use the MA over a Radian for DD? Or why would a Radian be a better choice for DS? He loves his Cowmoo! I could always splurge on a new MA (in Ashley Floral, LOL). Then DD will have her seat and DS will not feel ousted from his seat, YKWIM?

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014

Neatfreak is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

The Radian's advantage is that it offers a little more height-longevity - I think that it's top slots are 0.5-1 inch higher than the MA's, so your DS2 would be able to use the seat a little longer. If he saw one, do you think he might be interested in trying it out?
    ~ Laura

One in 2004 and the other one in 2008

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

RN has higher top slots. I figure DD#1 will get at least an extra year out of the RN over the MA.

RN has a lower profile, so the child can easily climb into the seat. DD#1 could, kinda, get into the MA, but getting into the RN is seriously NO big deal.

Plus, the RN is narrow, so if you end up with three seats in a sedan, you have a better chance of making them fit with the RN in the mix than the MA.

This is maybe just me, but car seats are, in our house at least, the parents' decision -- what seat you ride in, how long you ride in a seat, etc.. The girls don't get a choice.

I personally think the MA is a nicer choice for a younger child. It has a really nice recline and is nicer for sleeping. DD#1 does sleep in her RN, and never complains, but I wouldn't feel very comfortable with DD#2 being as upright as I've seen some RFg RN's.

JMHO.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray
    This is maybe just me, but car seats are, in our house at least, the parents' decision -- what seat you ride in, how long you ride in a seat, etc.. The girls don't get a choice.
    JMHO.
    While I generally agree with this, DS2 is a very particular kid. He likes things just so. I love that he runs to the car to climb into his car seat rather than pitching a fit like some of his friends. He has never complained about the seat, not once. To put it another way, he is the kid that insists on sleeping in a crib even though he can climb out. When presented with the idea that he is a "big boy", he hates it and tells you that he is a baby. Don't get me started on toilet training...

I just wish the RN came in more fun boy colours. There is the great pink one for girls, but nothing of the same sort for boys. If the cover was enticing, he might feel differently. I know that eventually he will sit in whatever seat I buy for him and I can spin it so that it sounds cool, but I just really don't want to mess with his status quo and make him feel like he has to give up his favourite seat. I guess that is where I tend to draw the line on the "car seats are mommy's domain".

Mommy to:

DS1 07/2001
    DS2 03/2005

DD1 05/2007

DD2 03/2014