Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 40 lb child on plane? What seat do I take?

I asked this question in a pvs thread, but re-posting to condense and ask my primary question. DS1 is 3 years, and hovers around 40 lbs. He's in a Como in our car. I don't really want to lug the Como through an airport when we next fly. We have a Scenera he still fits in height-wise, but may (or may not) be over the weight limit at any given moment. Can I still take it? What else are my options for over 40 lbs but still so young?
    C
    DS1 (04)
    DS2 (07)

My DD is 4.5 yo and is 40 lbs and 42 inches tall. We still take her Marathon on the airplane all the time. Marathon goes to 65 lbs and 49 inches tall. Here is the thing.. the FAA has their recommendations... But sometimes people miss the part about that they recommend you use a seat based on weight and height limits.. so that means if you have a carseat your child still fits into and it goes to 65 lbs they aren't going to stop you.. It is safer to have your child in a carseat.

I am not saying use a carseat that your child has outgrown in height or weight.. I am just saying you can use a carseat on the airplane even though your child weighs more than 40 lbs if you have an adequate carseat that your child still fits in within the weight and height limit on it.

Here is a quote from FAA website:

www.faa.gov

The FAA strongly urges parents and guardians to secure children in an appropriate restraint based on weight and size. Keeping a child in a CRS or device during the flight is the smart and right thing to do.

Did you know the safest place for your little one during turbulence or an emergency is in an approved child restraint system (CRS) or device.

Bring the carseat!!! Makes for a more pleasant flight experience.. for you, our child and everyone else.. They are comfortable, contained etc.....
    Last edited by 801kelle; 02-26-2008 at 04:49 PM.
    Kelle
    Mom to Riley (05-03)
    (She's a girl, not a boy)
    Used to sit in REGENT
    NOW SITS IN FRONTIER
    WE LOVE!!!

hez is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

We also lugged our Marathon through the airport (up 'til this last trip when we were taking taxis instead of renting a car). If we'd rented a car this last trip, I would have lugged the Marathon again.

What are your vehicle plans on the other end? A CARES harness would probably work for your DS (I'm reading that they go up to 44 pounds), but wouldn't help you car-wise later.
    Heather
    Mommy to DS (9/03) and DD (5/08)

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

No one here is going to tell you its OK to use a car seat past the weight limit.

I'd use the airplane seatbelt and check whatever seat you want to use in the car at your destination.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

No one, including manufacturer will tell you it's OK to use a seat past the weight limit. Will it be OK, won't it be OK??? No one knows or if they know they can't say.

Plane Options
    Lug Como through the airport
    Seatbelt only
    Cares harness - but he's close to the weight limit, it may be worth it if you will use for another child or you can rent them apparently on ebay or ask around to borrow, I know 2 people who have one.

Car
    Como that you have checked - a lot of people don't like doing this as the seat can get damaged. You can put it in a car seat bag with clothes etc as padding and hope luggage doesn't get lost.

Rider safe vest

Safeguard Go

What would I do? Probably seatbelt on plane and either the Go or the vest, depending on what will work for my situation. If he's outgrowing the Scenera, chances are you could use another spare seat for car pool or for other trips, so I would get it now to get my money's worth.

o_mom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I would add getting another higher-weight seat that can be used on the plane to the list. Nothing will be as light and cheap as the Scenera, but really the safest option.

Sunshine Kids Radian - folds for easier carrying, though heavy. Should last as long as the Como

Cosco Apex - Cheaper, harness to 65 lbs, but requires headrests in the car, may be lighter

Graco Nautilus - slightly cheaper, harness to 65 lbs, lasts as long as the Como, not much lighter.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

Would a Evenflo Triumph Advance work possibly as an airplane seat? Those have 50 lb weight limits and harness slots that last a bit longer than a Marathon (17.5"). Reasonably priced, and possibly lighter than the Apex or Nautilus as well. I've been pondering getting one for my 43 lb DD to use on a plane this summer since she'll have outgrown her MA (and we have a newborn who we could pass it down too.) It also would be something you could check with your luggage (or gate check) and not have the heartbreak of having your Recaro get lost/damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by annex
    Would a Evenflo Triumph Advance work possibly as an airplane seat?
    I'm not familiar with this seat. How reasonably priced is it? I hate to spend any $, so I'm tempted to lug the Como and put him in that on the plane. The only other seat that interests me at this point is a Nautilus, because I could use it longer into the future, but that doesn't seem any lighter than the Como. Although the RideSafer/Cares option is interesting as well, as long as I could use it overseas in the future- is the RideSafer legal in other countries? (specifically Australia) I already have both the Como and a Roundabout to hand down to DS2.
    C
    DS1 (04)
    DS2 (07)

o_mom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

The Triumph Advance is $130, but I would be concerned that it wouldn't fit in the seat as it is wide.

How about a discontinued Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe? It's like a Marathon but only $130 at albeebaby.com? http://www.albeebaby.com/fiprsavodeco1.html Not too much smaller than the Como, but somewhat.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

Ok, I just weighed DS with no clothes on and he's 38 lbs. Is the 40 lb limit with or without clothes??
    C
    DS1 (04)
    DS2 (07)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast