Default Are Playtex Premium Drop-In Liners Safe?

According to the Z report, they say that the Drop-In Liners are made from PET which is plastic #1 and not one of the safe plastics. I had heard they were made from #4 plastic and were safe?

Anyone know? It does say that the Original Nurser is BPA-free but that the Premium Nurser is listed under the BPA bottle.

http://zrecs.blogspot.com/2007/11/z-...a-playtex.html

I can't afford the more expensive BPA-free bottles like BornFree, Green to Grow and thinkbaby so I was hoping the Playtex Nurser would work.

Any other suggestions for an affordable BPA-free bottle?

have you considered glass? Evenflo has inexpensive glass bottles.

The liners are safe as they are made of polyethylene and there is no known danger with this type of plastic. The polycarbonate or BPA-laden plastic that they are referring to is the liner holder. No milk comes into contact with the hard plastic so I don't think you need to worry about leakage of BPA into the milk. Having said that, the liners tend to get expensive over time, are you sure you can't affort a couple of the other bottles after you factor in the expense of the liners?

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

yes they are safe My girlfriend uses the cheeper generic liners. They all work the same.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

liners are #4, not #1 so are safe--this includes Playtex brand, Target generic, Wal-Mart generic

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

That ZRecs report is great, however, the way they reported on the playtex bottles is misleading in my opinion. If you read the comments on the playtex page, the blogger (Z's Dad I guess?) explains that they grouped the liners in with the bottles, since the Premium Nursers (the part that just holds the liners) do have the BPA. But the liner, which is what comes into contact with the milk, is safe. And the blogger does actually state that if you dig a little.
    And if you want to be totally BPA-free, if you are worried about possible leaching in the dishwasher perhaps, you can still get the Original Nurser which is BPA free.
    DD
    DS

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I use the Avent Tempo bottles with the drop-in liners. They are safe and the system works really well. I like it so much better than glass bottles.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

Thanks everyone, I feel much better

I don't have a dishwasher so I am not worried about leaching there. I wonder if there is any real benefit of the Premium vs Original nurser?

Sadly glass is not an option as daycare won't accept glass.

And although the liners do cost more over time, I can't afford the upfront cost of the other BPA-free bottles. ( i have the same issue with cloth diapering )

I plan on freezing using storage bags so hopefully, I can reduce transfer of milk and safe a bit by using the storage bag as the nurser liner. DD only tolerated the playtex nurser so I am hoping DS will take to them just as easily (she rejected avent, dr. brown, evenflo, gerber nuk and munchkin and even the adiri breastbottle!)