Default Yet another travel/carseat thread

I thought I remembered at one time that someone posted about a "travel" carseat. Is there even such a thing? I swear that I remember seeing a seat that folded up small enough to be stored in an overhead bin. Can someone please tell me if such a thing exists?

If not, then I am going to buy two new seats for our upcoming trip in May. Has anyone ever traveled with two Marathons? Would it be significantly easier to travel with a Roundabout than a Marathon? (I am thinking I might get one of each. Our girls are 2 and a half and 16 months, and they're both smallish to average in size.)

I know that people always suggest the Scenera for travel. However, we'll end up using these two extra seats in Dh's car, so I don't mind spending a little more to get "nicer" seats. (I didn't say safer. : ) The Britax seats just look so much more comfortable, and I am familiar with the install, so I am leaning that way.) Plus, with the big sale right now, I feel I can justify two new Britax seats.

I could go into the long, complicated story of why I am asking about the travel seat, but I won't bore you with that. Let's suffice it to say that my Dh isn't nearly as concerned about carseat safety as I am and definitely not carseat/airline safety. I am still working on him. : )

(Please don't give a bunch of info about the importance of a carseat on a plane. You'd be preaching to the choir. )

o_mom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

How big are your girls (height and weight)?

Are they FF or RF?

Where are they at in the Marathons (which slot and how close are their shoulders)?

That will help narrow it down some.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

Safeguard GO and Radian.. I think they both fold up.. I know Radian does for sure..

If you want to think about getting Britax I would get 2 Marathons.. they will last you longer than if you got one of each.. Meaning Marathon weight and height limit are more than Roundabout.

I have a DD and travel with my Marathon. My DD is 4.5 yo, 40 lbs and 42 inches tall.

Here if this helps you show him these quotes and or website:

www.faa.gov

The FAA strongly urges parents and guardians to secure children in an appropriate restraint based on weight and size. Keeping a child in a CRS or device during the flight is the smart and right thing to do.

Did you know the safest place for your little one during turbulence or an emergency is in an approved child restraint system (CRS) or device.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by 801kelle; 02-27-2008 at 09:31 PM.
    Kelle
    Mom to Riley (05-03)
    (She's a girl, not a boy)
    Used to sit in REGENT
    NOW SITS IN FRONTIER
    WE LOVE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by o_mom
    How big are your girls (height and weight)?

Are they FF or RF?

Where are they at in the Marathons (which slot and how close are their shoulders)?

That will help narrow it down some.
    I am not sure how big the girls are. We haven't been to the doctor in a while. : )

My 2 and half year old is about 27 pounds, and my 16 month old is probably about 22 pounds.

They are both RF still in the car, but I have to admit, that I am not going to make a huge stink about them FF on the plane. (ducking and hiding--haha)

Also, I plan on installing their seats RF in the rental car, but if there is such a thing as a travel seat that folds up really tiny and can only FF, I will feel comfortable using that for my 2 and a half year old in the rental car. We'll only be in it for the 20 minute drive from the airport to our hotel and then on the way back.

Our next trip will be in the fall, and she very well could be 33 pounds by then anyway.

Both girls are in Boulevards right now. There is no way I want to lug those two things on the plane. I know that the Marathon is basically the same size, but it does seem slightly less bulky without those headwings.

SO, main question---was that travel carseat that folded up a hallucination?! haha

(The thing is my Dh didn't buy a seat for our 16 month old. I didn't realize it at the time. I just called today and a seat for her is almost $500 now (when we paid only $200 for the seats last summer--yes, he plans ahead like crazy, but not as thoroughly as I would have! haha I know, I know---her life is worth the money, etc., etc. My Dh isn't going to go for it. He already thinks I am being neurotic. SO--I don't want to check a brand new Marathon or Roundabout and have it get beat up. That was why I was hoping to find the travel seat, so we could store it in the overhead bin, and then use it in the rental car. My Dh thinks we should just rent seats. I don't want to, for a lot of reasons. Can you see my dilemma?! Ugh.)

The Radian 65 folds and you can get a carry bag, but that sucker is heavy. It works well on the plane and you can use a tray table with it. It is a convertible seat and installs easily with LATCH, which rental cars should have. I think it will fit an overhead bin, so you can bring it on and use it if there is an empty seat. Don't even think about the Radian 80 with those lightweights - no way are they going to get over 65 lbs before they are too tall.

ETA: I think the Radian has a 22 lb lower limit for forward facing, so your younger one may have to use it RF which most likely won't work on the plane given how tall and reclined that seat is. The Scenera really is a good option there.

Another option for your older one is a Graco Cargo. It harnesses to 40 lbs and about as tall as the Boulevard. It is much lighter and sits lower to the seat. It is forward facing only, though, so you won't get much extra use out of it at home until she is FF. It is $80-100, just look for one with a front harness adjuster. It is really a nice harnessed seat, but it doesn't fold. You can use it on the plane for her instead of the overhead bin.

There was just an undercover story about rental seats in California, so google that and send it to your DH. Also explain that for the $8-10/day they will charge you, you can buy two Sceneras to use and not worry about dirty, broken, unsafe seats.
    Last edited by o_mom; 02-27-2008 at 05:40 PM.

The Radian 65 folds and you can get a carry bag, but that sucker is heavy. It works well on the plane and you can use a tray table with it. It is a convertible seat and installs easily with LATCH, which rental cars should have. I think it will fit an overhead bin, so you can bring it on and use it if there is an empty seat. Don't even think about the Radian 80 with those lightweights - no way are they going to get over 65 lbs before they are too tall.

ETA: I think the Radian has a 22 lb lower limit for forward facing, so your younger one may have to use it RF which most likely won't work on the plane given how tall and reclined that seat is. The Scenera really is a good option there.

Another option for your older one is a Graco Cargo. It harnesses to 40 lbs and about as tall as the Boulevard. It is much lighter and sits lower to the seat. It is forward facing only, though, so you won't get much extra use out of it at home until she is FF. It is $80-100, just look for one with a front harness adjuster. It is really a nice harnessed seat, but it doesn't fold. You can use it on the plane for her instead of the overhead bin.

There was just an undercover story about rental seats in California, so google that and send it to your DH. Also explain that for the $8-10/day they will charge you, you can buy two Sceneras to use and not worry about dirty, broken, unsafe seats.

Oh, I showed him the undercover story that I read on here. He said, "Well, that doesn't mean that every rental car agency is going to have that problem." Ugh--men!

I might not have explained myself that well. The 2 and a half year old will sit in the new Marathon (or Roundabout) on the plane. The 16 month old will stay as a lap child, unless there is an extra seat. That's why I wanted the extra seat to be able to fit in the overhead bin (I don't want it getting tossed around underneath.)

In the rental car, the 16 month old will then sit in the Marathon, and our 2 and a half year old will sit in the other seat, yet to be decided.

I should probably lean towards the Radian 65, not the Safeguard GO, huh? I am worried that the limo/cab that picks us up won't have LATCH or top tether anchors, and then the Safeguard GO won't be able to be used anyway.

(Oh, and we're not renting a car. I might have misspoke earlier. We are getting picked up by either a limo or a cab. I am sure their rental car seats are in just as poor of condition (or worse even!) than a rental car agency's!)

OK - I'm getting it now...

Marathon and something... I'm thinking the Radian. If you get a seat, use the Marathon RF for the little one and the Radian FF for the older one. If you don't get a seat, MA for the older one, Radian in the overhead compartment.

In the limo/car service. Installing the Radian, from easiest to hardest (IMO):

1. LATCH (FF or RF)
    2. lap only belt RF
    3. lap only belt FF
    4. Lap/shoulder RF (may need locking clip)
    5. Lap/shoulder FF (also may need locking clip)

The Marathon should install easily anywhere, so pick the best install/child for the Radian first, then place the Marathon.

On the rental thing. Most car rental places won't rent you a seat if you don't rent a car, so maybe you can foil DH's plan that way.

OK - I'm getting it now...

Marathon and something... I'm thinking the Radian. If you get a seat, use the Marathon RF for the little one and the Radian FF for the older one. If you don't get a seat, MA for the older one, Radian in the overhead compartment.

In the limo/car service. Installing the Radian, from easiest to hardest (IMO):

1. LATCH (FF or RF)
    2. lap only belt RF
    3. lap only belt FF
    4. Lap/shoulder RF (may need locking clip)
    5. Lap/shoulder FF (also may need locking clip)

The Marathon should install easily anywhere, so pick the best install/child for the Radian first, then place the Marathon.

On the rental thing. Most car rental places won't rent you a seat if you don't rent a car, so maybe you can foil DH's plan that way.
    Well, back when I wasn't as "up" on this carseat safety stuff (great vocabulary today, huh?! haha), we were picked up in a limo on our trip to Florida. The carseat that came with the limo was a FF only seat, and it was pretty beat up. Ummm, our oldest DD was only 9 months old at the time! Shudder!!! Of course, I put her in it, because it was better than nothing (I should say that I was definitely knowledgeable about the RF as long as possible info.....just not about nasty rental car seats and airplane/carseat safety), but I prayed the whole time that we wouldn't get into an accident!

We were fine, but I won't do it again. Dh said, "Sure, it wasn't ideal, but it was more convenient. Plus, both girls could FF if they had to now, so it's not an issue like last time." He's just being a pain, although I think I am wearing him down!

I think I will go with the Radian 65 and a new Marathon. I put a call in to Sunshine Kids just now to find out if that seat will fit in an overhead bin folded up. I really, really hope so!!!

Maybe it was the Safeguard Go or Eddie Bauer Portable you were thinking of? (no flames from me, I've been known to be downright risky when I travel with my munchkins lap babies, Eddie Bauer Portable, backless boosters as young as age 2.5...sometimes convenience wins out over risk, unfortunately, and risk is lower than we perceive it to be, in most cases)

Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#