Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    deborah_r is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default When are "most people" switching to boosters?

I have kind of a strange question here, I hope I can explain it. For over a year now, I have been seeing (at daycare) children my son's age and younger (3-5 year range) seats in their cars that don't look like a 5-point restraint system. I think some are boosters, but I don't know.

I am not looking to move my son out of his Marathon (he's only 30 pounds at almost 5 years old) but I would just like to be aware if I am "strange" on this issue as compared to the general public of people who do not research this stuff and generally go by the minimum requirements. I'm thinking I'm going to be put into some situations of explaining why my 5 year old is still in a Marathon, and would like to be prepared.

I noticed one of my son's best friends, who is just now turning 4, was sitting in something that didn't even have a back to it, just a part that he would sit in and something went over his lap. I'm guessing that's a booster? I've also seen somehting that did have a seat and back cushion to it, but it didn't come up around the sides like a convertible carseat does (didn't even look like it had the plastic molded seat frame)

I really worry for these kids as they just seem to young for these kind of restraints.

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Judging by the car line at preschool, 70-80% of the 3 yo class is in boosters (3 by Sept. 1). No, they are not safe at that age.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but I just don't get it. I don't understand how/why people don't research something as important as the safety of their child in a car. All (and I do mean all) of my friends and parents of kids in DS's preschool class think I'm nuts (certifiably) for keeping DS RF. I often get told that DS will break his legs in a crash if I keep him RF. Or, why am I keeping him a baby. I could offer up information to these people but most (if not all) get offended by the offer. It is just so frustrating!
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

I think the 'real world' looks at the 3 years/30 lb/ 38 inch lower limit on the Turbo booster and start using it as soon as the kid is 'close enough' to that size (lots of reviews at amazon about 2 yo's in boosters )

Did that booster with the thing over the kid look like this? http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/shieldbooster.aspx Those were extremely popular for years, really the only option for cars with only lapbelts, and kids with older siblings often still end up stuck in them, or people who think they are easy and safe (they haven't been made in about 5 years now...).

Yeah, we're pretty different here online.... trying to make it to at least age 5 before our kids' butts ever hit a booster (and then we try to get them into big solid numbers with Side Impact Protection, like the Britax Monarch)... I think the Kyle David Miller foundation has done a lot to educate the public though, they have got Britax Regent sales flying through the roof
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Quote Originally Posted by HIU8
    I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but I just don't get it. I don't understand how/why people don't research something as important as the safety of their child in a car. All (and I do mean all) of my friends and parents of kids in DS's preschool class think I'm nuts (certifiably) for keeping DS RF. I often get told that DS will break his legs in a crash if I keep him RF. Or, why am I keeping him a baby. I could offer up information to these people but most (if not all) get offended by the offer. It is just so frustrating!
    I don't get it either. My impression of some of the parents is just that they are very laid back and don't really think about it much. Kind of the "it won't happen to me" thinking. I have no doubt they love their kids dearly!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Joolsplus2
    Did that booster with the thing over the kid look like this? http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/shieldbooster.aspx Those were extremely popular for years, really the only option for cars with only lapbelts, and kids with older siblings often still end up stuck in them, or people who think they are easy and safe (they haven't been made in about 5 years now...).

Yep, looked like that. The boy is 4 and has no older siblings. And they were riding in a convertible (car, not carseat!). Thing is, these people are great! I love them, they are so sweet, and smart, and fun. So how would I even say anything?

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Most people I know start using a booster when their kid outgrows their RA or MA. So as young as 3 or even 2 is common.

I will say that we have used a booster for Sarah occasionally since she was 3. At that age we stopped using a car seat on the airplane and started using a booster for travel. When she outgrew our two RAs (the MA was not available when she outgrew her infant seat), we bought an MA for my car (where she rides well over 90% of the time and a booster for DH's car. I was OK with her using the booster occasionally, but I did not want it to be her full time seat.

When she outgrew the MA, we got a Regent for our car. I do know a couple other people (nonBBBers that is) who use a Regent, but only one or two. Most people think I'm a little buts for still having in a harnessed seat.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber
    Most people I know start using a booster when their kid outgrows their RA or MA. So as young as 3 or even 2 is common.

I will say that we have used a booster for Sarah occasionally since she was 3. At that age we stopped using a car seat on the airplane and started using a booster for travel. When she outgrew our two RAs (the MA was not available when she outgrew her infant seat), we bought an MA for my car (where she rides well over 90% of the time and a booster for DH's car. I was OK with her using the booster occasionally, but I did not want it to be her full time seat.

When she outgrew the MA, we got a Regent for our car. I do know a couple other people (nonBBBers that is) who use a Regent, but only one or two. Most people think I'm a little buts for still having in a harnessed seat.
    That is what we are going to do, using the booster for travel (4 yr old) and in my DH's car as a spare seat (rarely ever does he take the kids in his car). I got one of those parkways for a great price and the convertible seat in my DH's car for our older son is expiring soon. However, the kids ride in my minivan 99% of the time and they both have marathons.

As for why ppl move their child to boosters so soon, I think ppl just don't care about the carseats. They are also very cheap, if there is a younger sibling, as soon as they need to move the baby from the infant carseat to a convertible seat, they will boot the older child into the booster, whether or not they meet the req. Most ppl just see the 30# req and don't bother to care/notice the 4 yr old age. I know a lot of ppl who are extremely anal about their kids, but totally fail in the carseat category. It seems that the attitude is that if they are in a carseat, ANY carseat, that it is adequate and they are doing their job as a parent. I've also known ppl who complain about the cost of a britax, yet they go to starbucks twice a day and blow $ left and right on other things that really are not that important. I have always found that bizarre. For the amt of $ they spend at starbucks in one month, they can upgrade their crappy carseat to a britax... but they don't see it that way. You would think more ppl would try their best to get something that could mean life or death for their child in case of a car accident.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default My analogy that changed someone's mind...

I am the only one at DD's preschool with a harnessed 4 year old...and she is not the smallest one, and most of the them are in backless boosters!!!! When I was talking to someone once about why the backless boosters do not provide enough protection etc. they said well, the box says 30-100 lbs...I explained that the manufacturers were able to get away with saying this BUT why would you buy something so important as a car safety seat that is "one size fits all". That 30-100 lbs is a huge range...I went on to explain that you wouldn't give your 30 pound kids the same amount of cold medicine as a 100 lb kiddo or you wouldn't put the same pair of pants on a 30 pound and 100 pound kid- WHY, because they wouldn't fit- and the backless booster does not properly fit a 30 lb kid....I know it's a simple analogy but it did change one mom's mind.

I think unfortunately until someone like Oprah focuses on this (I even wrote in to suggest this as a story..thought it would be a great topic) or more tragedies like Kyle Miller car seat safety and the lack of awareness in the general public will continue...except of course all the folks who we all have converted!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

From what I have noticed, 4 seems to be the magic age around here.

Beth

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast