Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Here in TN, the law is that children must be in a car seat until at least 4 years old, 40 lbs and less than 4' 9". DD is a medium-sized 4 and is not yet 40 lbs, so she is still in her carseat as are most of her friends.

Here is the state link and summary info:

http://tn.gov/safety/newCRD.htm

Details of the 2004 Child Restraint Law
    · Infants: Must be in rear-facing seats until they are at least one year old
    · Toddlers: Must weigh more than 20 pounds to graduate to a forward-facing seat
    · Booster Seat: A child must be at least 4 years old, weigh more than 40 pounds and be less than 4 foot 9 inches tall to graduate to a booster seat.
    · Seat belt: Children can begin to use a regular seat belt when they turn 9 years old.
    · ALL CHILDREN YOUNGER THAN AGE 9 MUST RIDE IN THE BACK SEAT

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Actually, the law in that link doesn't mention being 40 lbs anywhere, just 4 and up to move to booster seats.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

Red face

My apologies. I took the info from our children's hospital website here http://www.vanderbiltchildrens.com/i...r.php?mid=1131

I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that the weight was in the law somewhere, maybe buried in the details. On a practical note, it is generally "advertised" here that there is a 40 lb minimum for a booster.

I am sorry for any inconvience!

psophia17 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I just wanted to point out that there are kids out there (not many, but enough) who have to get moved to a booster before they're old enough, because there isn't a convertible on the market that will fit the bill.

DS1 was 46lbs before he was 2.5yo, and in Canada at that time, the harnessed convertible and/or Britax options were only rated for 47/48lbs. Shelling out big bucks for a Britax we had 1-2 lbs of use out of was not an option, so we got the Evenflo Generations, which had a higher harnessed rating in Canada than any other option did. We used the harness until a couple of months after DS's 3rd birthday, because even though age- and weight-wise he could've/should've stayed in it longer, it was so tight in the thigh that he'd have red welts where the straps cut in.

So, while there are plenty of parents out there switching stuff around well earlier than they should be, there are also parents who have limited options, and make the best decision possible, given the options at the time.

DS1 has done really well in the booster w/ lap&shoulder belt, btw, he heard "buckle up for safety" every time he was strapped into any carseat from birth, as does DS2. So far, so good.
    Petra
    Mother of Two
    Owner of BaDumBums

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sunriseiz
    My apologies. I took the info from our children's hospital website here http://www.vanderbiltchildrens.com/i...r.php?mid=1131

I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that the weight was in the law somewhere, maybe buried in the details. On a practical note, it is generally "advertised" here that there is a 40 lb minimum for a booster.

I am sorry for any inconvience!
    Good for them for going above and beyond! I know when that was passed it was one of those laws that was good in some ways and not in others. Good - rear-facing to a year by law Bad - It states that over 1 and 20 lbs MUST be forward facing (although that is not enforced)
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by psophia17
    I just wanted to point out that there are kids out there (not many, but enough) who have to get moved to a booster before they're old enough, because there isn't a convertible on the market that will fit the bill.

DS1 was 46lbs before he was 2.5yo, and in Canada at that time, the harnessed convertible and/or Britax options were only rated for 47/48lbs. Shelling out big bucks for a Britax we had 1-2 lbs of use out of was not an option, so we got the Evenflo Generations, which had a higher harnessed rating in Canada than any other option did. We used the harness until a couple of months after DS's 3rd birthday, because even though age- and weight-wise he could've/should've stayed in it longer, it was so tight in the thigh that he'd have red welts where the straps cut in.

So, while there are plenty of parents out there switching stuff around well earlier than they should be, there are also parents who have limited options, and make the best decision possible, given the options at the time.

DS1 has done really well in the booster w/ lap&shoulder belt, btw, he heard "buckle up for safety" every time he was strapped into any carseat from birth, as does DS2. So far, so good.
    You can't get the Regent there can you? Canda's top law is 48lbs correct - sheesh, hope they change it one day, so kiddos like your DS have more options.

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig
    You can't get the Regent there can you? Canda's top law is 48lbs correct - sheesh, hope they change it one day, so kiddos like your DS have more options.

No, it is now 65lbs.

Word is we are getting the Frontier and the Nautilus very soon.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray
    No, it is now 65lbs.

Word is we are getting the Frontier and the Nautilus very soon.
    Good news. Psophia - maybe you could reharness Nathan - if he fits that is.

Jackson is in a Regent in my car but has rode in a booster in DH's truck for about a year now. Less than 3 miles to daycare twice a week. I HATED him being in a booster. I just bought the Nautilus for DH's truck and at first Jackson was a little irritated about not being in a booster but I told him it was like the NASCAR drivers wear and showed him pictures and he LOVES it now!

I do think kids start to want to be like their classmates and friends but safety is the bottom line. My SIL is terrible with carseats and dispite me telling her over and over about safety she has her DD (less than 20 lbs) FF and did before her first B-Day. She also has her son who is a year older than Jackson but much smaller than him in a backless booster or no booster at all. Makes me sick! They all think I am crazy...REALLY CRAZY! Thankfully now Jackson is thrilled about his cool new racecar driver carseat!
    ~Tara~
    Proud Mommy to
    Jackson 11/02
    Tyler 6/05
    Jaci 8/06

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by HIU8
    I often get told that DS will break his legs in a crash if I keep him RF.
    I heard that one alot too. My immediate retort is, "Better he breaks his legs than snaps his spinal cord." That stops them dead every time. Even the pediatrician said this to me once. I responded the same way to her and she admittted that i had a point.

I proceeded to remind her that the #1 killer of children is auto accidents. An ounce of prevention....
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast